Sydney FC 0 Melbourne City 2 (Harrison 63’, Retre 79’ (OG))
Sydney FC have gone down to Melbourne City 2-0 this evening despite dominating much of the game, after two second half goals from the visitors sealed the Sky Blues fate at Leichhardt Oval.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Chance 3’ – An early corner almost allows the Sky Blues to open the scoring but with plenty of City players around the ball it was too tough for Le Fondre as his attempted shot was blocked.
- Big Guns Combining 13’ – Sydney FC looked to play on the break as Ninkovic, Zullo and Le Fondre combined, but a fantastic intervention from a Melbourne City defender put an end to any chance of an opener.
- De Laet Clearance 43’ – Another great chance for the home side as Ghoochannejhad finds himself in space inside the box, but his ball towards the far post is cleared by De Laet on his own goal-line.
- Ninkovic Chance 50’ – Sublime work from Zullo who puts it on a dime for Ninkovic inside City’s penalty area, but the maestro was unable to control it and convert the chance.
- Reza Miss 61’ – Another great ball into the box from Zullo finds Ghoochannejhad at the far post, but the Iranian was unable to find the back of the net from close range.
- Harrison Goal 63’ – A break against the run of play from Melbourne City allowed Baccus to deliver a nicely weighted ball for Harrison who makes no mistake, drilling it into the bottom corner to open the scoring.
- City’s Lead Doubled 79’ – A cross from Delbridge into the area finds Harrison who volleys it into Retre, and the deflection unfortunately finds the back of the net to take their lead to 2-0.
- Ninkovic Miss 90+2’ – The Sydney FC No.10 almost gave the home fans something to cheer about with a banging effort from the edge of the area that just sailed over the bar.
Sydney FC conceded two goals in the space of 16 minutes to lose 2-0 this evening to Melbourne City in wet conditions at Leichhardt Oval.
The Sky Blues had the best of the chances in the first half, as frontmen Adam Le Fondre and Reza Ghoochannejhad found themselves within reach of an opening goal but couldn’t find the back of the net as Melbourne City’s defence continued to rally.
Sydney FC had another few opportunities at the beginning of the second half, but were again unable to find the back of the net and paid the price for it as Shayon Harrison finished off a nice counter attack from City to give them the lead just after the hour mark.
Left-back Michael Zullo was at his best, delivering a plethora of quality balls into the area but unfortunately the home side were unable to capitalise on the chances and energy he provided throughout the contest.
A very unlucky deflection off Paulo Retre inside the box from another Harrison shot was enough to secure Melbourne City the win, despite Sydney FC’s dominance in the first half and ample goalscoring chances throughout the match.
The Sky Blues will now look to enjoy a well-deserved break before regrouping to take on Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Friday 29th March.
What They Said:
Head Coach Steve Corica: “We lacked a little bit in the final third tonight. I thought the first half was very good, created lots of half chances and I think games like that you have to take them when they come. It’s been a hard week in Japan, travelling back from there and a heavy field as well tonight. The boys started to get tired and started to do some silly things but it had nothing to do with the effort, they gave everything and their goals were from a simple mistake and a deflection. Everything in the second half seemed to fall for them.
“We really should have finished them off in the first half and that’s the problem when you don’t. The boys worked hard and we’ve got two weeks to rest up now and get ready for the Brisbane game. It’s the first time we haven’t scored this season in the A-League so obviously disappointed with that but the other games we have and it’s about finishing the chances we have when they come.
“The break has come at a good time with the busy schedule we’ve had and after travelling to Japan, it gives everyone a rest and time to freshen up and we’ll be back ready for the Brisbane game in two weeks.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK) 3. Ben WARLAND (18. Jacob TRATT 24’) 4. Alex WILKINSON © 7. Michael ZULLO 8. Paulo RETRE 9. Adam LE FONDRE 10. Milos NINKOVIC 13. Brandon O’NEILL 16. Reza GHOOCHANNEJHAD (14. Alex BROSQUE 66’) 17. Anthony CACERES (31. Luke IVANOVIC 70’) 23. Rhyan GRANT
SUBS NOT USED: 20. Alex CISAK (GK) 21. Mitch AUSTIN
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne City: 18. Eugene GALEKOVIC (GK) 2. Ritchie DE LAET 3. Scott JAMIESON © (22. Curtis GOOD 48’) 4. Harrison DELBRIDGE 5. Bart SCHENKEVELD 7. Rostyn GRIFFITHS 9. Shayon HARRISON (21. Ramy NAJJARINE 88’) 15. Kearyn BACCUS (34. Connor METCALFE 76’) 25. Iacopo LA ROCCA 26. Luke BRATTAN 29. Jamie MACLAREN
SUBS NOT USED: 42. James DELIANOV (GK) 58. Yaka DUKULY
Yellow Cards: De Laet 74’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Leichhardt Oval
Referee: Shaun Evans