Sydney smash Newcastle

Sydney FC have handed the previously undefeated Newcastle Jets at 4-1 hiding in an action-packed Westfield W-League fixture at Adamstown Oval on Saturday afternoon.

Sydney FC have handed the previously undefeated Newcastle Jets at 4-1 hiding in an action-packed Westfield W-League fixture at Adamstown Oval on Saturday afternoon.

The sides were locked at 0-0 at half-time after an enthralling arm-wrestle in the first 45 minutes.

But a goal to Sydney striker Sarah Walsh just one minute after the break changed the complexion of the match.

The Jets opened up as they chased an equaliser and Sydney took advantage to post three more goals via Thea Slatyer, Caitlin Foord and Heather Garriock for a 4-0 lead after 76 minutes before the Jets regained some respect with a late strike to Tara Andrews.

The win sees Sydney move to seven points on the table, leapfrogging the Jets who remain on six.

The week four clash started in perfect conditions in front of another record home crowd of 985 for the Jets and it was a compelling battle from the opening whistle as both sides engineered half chances but were thwarted by two well-disciplined defences.

Sydney had the first chance on goal with their skipper Heather Garriock sending in a dangerous cross into a crowded penalty area from the left wing, but Jets keeper Melissa Barbieri punched clear.

The Jets took their first strike with Monnique Kofoed firing a low shot from the edge of the area but it was easily saved by Sydney goalkeeper Allison Lipsher.

Walsh looked like she had scored the opener when she headed a pin-point cross in the 41st minute but she was called back for offside, while Kofoed planted the ball in the back of the Sydney net but was also pinged for offside.

The Jets received a body blow when livewire striker Lisa de Vanna was stretchered off after a collision with Lipsher on the edge of the box midway through the first half.

She came back on a few moments later but appeared very groggy and was duly replaced at half-time by Rhali Dobson.

Whether it was the reshuffle in the line-up or just a lack of concentration from the Jets, they were punished just one minute after the resumption when Walsh poked home from six yards following a goal-mouth scramble for Sydney to take a 1-0 lead.

The goal seemed to panic the home side as they looked to hit back but they opened up as they pushed forward and Sydney took full advantage as defender Slatyer slotted home from 18 metres after confusion in the Jets box following a corner in the 57th minute.

Sydney went 3-0 ahead just after the hour mark when substitute striker Foord pounced on an errant back pass from the Jets defence to pick up the ball on the edge of the box.

She showed plenty of poise to round the advancing Barbieri and coolly slot the ball into an open goal.

The visitors completed the rout when Garriock got on the scoresheet in fortuitous circumstances in the 76th minute.

After breaking into space down the left wing the Sydney skipper fired a cross into the box where Barbieri leapt high to field the ball but as she landed heavily the ball spilt out and trickled into her own net.

Newcastle looked to hit back but just couldn’t get past Slatyer, who had a mammoth game in defence.

The home side eventually found a chink in the visitors’ armour four minutes from full-time when Andrews brought down a cross from the right wing and rounded Lipsher to slot home to make the final score 4-1.

Newcastle Jets 1 (Andrew 86)
Sydney FC 4 (Walsh 46, Slatyer 57, Foord 64, Garriock 76)
Crowd: 985 at Adamstown Oval