Sydney FC Three-Peat Hopes Denied In Melbourne


Sydney FC 1 (Barbarouses 21’) def by Melbourne City 3 (Atkinson 23’, Jamieson pen 45’, Galloway 93’)

Ten man Sydney FC have gone down to Melbourne City 2-1 in the A-League Grand Final having been down to ten men for most of the game and following a controversial penalty decision.


Moments That Mattered: 

  1. BOBÔ CHANCE – 8’ – Bobô closes down Glover in the City goal who almost gifts the Brazilian the opener but he clears in the nick of time.
  2. BARBAROUSES GOAL – 21’ – Barbarouses drives forward into the City half and blasts one home from 25 yards.
  3. ATKINSON GOAL 23’ – Colakovski runs forward into the Sydney FC half and plays the ball wide right to Atkinson who takes a touch and fires into the top corner.
  4. BERENGUER MISS 26’ – Galloway gets down the right and lifts the ball to Berenguer who misses a free header from close range.
  5. BRATTAN SENT OFF 35’ – Brattan receives a second yellow card for a tackle on Tilio and is sent from the field.
  6. JAMIESON PENALTY 45’ – Luna fell down awkwardly and referee Chris Beath gives a penalty to the home side which Jamieson converts.
  7. KING OFF THE LINE 61’ – Heward-Belle produces a fantastic save from Colakovski before King clears off the line from Luna.
  8. GALLOWAY GOAL – 93’ – Galloway drives a shot home from the edge of the box.


Sydney FC’s chance to complete a ‘Threepeat’ have been denied by Melbourne City in a 3-1 defeat. 

The Sky Blues took the lead in the first half with a stunning strike from Kosta Barbarouses, however City were back on level terms within two minutes through Atkinson.

Sydney FC’s task got harder when Luke Brattan was sent off in the 35th minute for a second yellow card.

Jamieson converted from the spot on the stroke of half time after a controversial penalty was awarded by the referee.

The ten men fought hard in the second half to pull back the equalizer however were unable to create much and Galloway sealed the win for City in the dying seconds.  


Sydney FC: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Ben WARLAND, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alex BAUMJOHANN (10. Milos NINKOVIC 72’), 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. BOBÔ (21. Harry VAN DER SAAG 37’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES (33. Pat WOOD 86’), 26. Luke BRATTAN, 99. Adam LE FONDRE.

Subs: 30. Adam PAVLESIC, 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 25. Callum TALBOT.

Yellow Cards: Brattan 25’,

Red Cards: Brattan 35’.

Melbourne City: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Nuno REIS, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 8.Aiden O’NEILL, 10.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI (15. Andrew NABBOUT 74’), 20.Adrian LUNA, 23.Marco TILIO.

Subs: 33.Matthew SUTTON (gk), 11.Craig NOONE, 16.Taras GOMULKA, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 35.Raphael BORGES RODRIGUES, 36.Kerrin STOKES.

Yellow Cards: Tilio 55’, Colakovski 73’.

Red Cards: None

Venue: AAMI Park

Referee: Chris Beath