Sydney FC Pass Tricky Olympic Test

Sydney FC 4 (Le Fondre 45’, Wood 58’, Kamsoba 78’, Buhagiar 93’) def Sydney Olympic 2 (Parkhouse 30’, Van Meurs 82’)

Sydney FC moved into the last 16 of the FFA Cup with a 4-2 win over Sydney Olympic at Belmore Sports Ground thanks to goals from Adam Le Fondre, Patrick Wood, Elvis Kamsoba and Trent Buhagiar.

Moments That Mattered: 

LE FONDRE CHANCE – 23’ – Brattan’s corner is met by Le Fondre who flashes his header across the far post.

PARKHOUSE GOAL – 30’ – Parkhouse gets a break on the left and takes a shot from the angle of the box which takes a deflection off Van der Saag and loops over Redmayne for the most fortunate of goals.

BURGESS HITS THE POST – 40’ – A right wing cross falls on the head of Burgess who heads down but Sorras gets a leg on the ball to deflect it onto the post and it’s cleared.

LE FONDRE GOAL – 45’ – Brattan’s free kick from the right edge of the box is headed back across by McGing at the back post and Alfie is on hand to nod the ball home from close range.

WOOD GOAL – 58’ – Wood picks up the ball inside Olympic half, he turns, beats a couple of players and buries it into the bottom corner.

YAZBEK SHOT SAVED – 64’ – Good play from Kamsoba to find Wood who plays a long pass to the back of the box for Burgess.  He lays it off to Yazbek to fire in a 20 yard shot which Sorras saves with one hand before the ball is cleared.

Sydney FC Celebrate Passage Into The Next Round. Photo By Jaime Castaneda.

NIEUWENHOF SHOT DEFLECTED WIDE – 67’ – A corner falls to Nieuwenhof at the back of the box and his goalbound shot is deflected wide.

KAMSOBA SHOOTS JUST WIDE – 68’ – Kamsoba breaks and gets within range before unleashing a fierce shot which goes just wide.

KAMSOBA GOAL – 78’ – Burgess puts over a cross from the left which Le Fondre heads back across goal for Kamsoba to ‘head’ home.

VAN MEURS GOAL – 82’ – A free kick from the Olympic left is bundled over the line by a few bodies but Van Meurs claims it.

BUHAGIAR GOAL – 90’+3’ – Buhagiar races forward latching onto a hopeful headed ball forward from King and flicks it over the keeper Sorras who had come out of his box.

Patrick Wood Celebrates The Second Goal Against Sydney Olympic. Photo By Jaime Castaneda

What They Said: Steve Corica: “I thought Sydney Olympic did really well in the first half tonight, they put us under pressure and created chances, and the goal got their confidence up.

“In the end it was comfortable, but they fought all the way until the end and when they got their second goal, it shocked us a little bit.

“Three games in one week in the first week of the A-League season is always going to be difficult.

“We’ve got a few players injured and another one tonight with Brattan going down, so the squad is going to be tested.

“[Brattan] He might have done his ACL, he’s going to get a scan tomorrow, so obviously it’s not very good if that’s the case and if he has that injury he’s out for the whole season.

“We’ll wait to see tomorrow and fingers crossed it’s not that bad but if it is, it’s very disappointing for him and the club.”

Luke Brattan Will Undergo Scans Tomorrow On Injured Knee. Photo Jaime Castaneda

Sydney FC overcame a scare against Sydney Olympic to move into the last 16 of the FFA Cup with a 4-2 win in wet conditions at Belmore Sports Ground.

Olympic took the lead in the first half when Parkhouse saw his deflected shot loop over the head of Redmayne to put the NPL side in front.

The Sky Blues were level on the stroke of half time thanks to the head of Adam Le Fondre before a fantastic solo goal from Patrick Wood put the Isuzu Ute A-League side in front.

Elvis Kamsoba nudged Sydney FC 3-1 ahead before a late flurry from the home side saw ex-Sydney FC Youth League player Ben Van Meurs bundle the ball over the line to reduce the deficit.

Trent Buhagiar restored the two goal cushion late on after a headed through ball from Joel King securing the Sky Blues’ passage.

The win was marred by a potentially serious injury to midfielder Luke Brattan who will undergo scans tomorrow on his knee.

Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE, 4. Alex WILKINSON (25. Callum TALBOT 81’), 14. Adam LE FONDRE (11. Trent BUHAGIAR 78’), 16. Joel KING, 21. Harry VAN DER SAAG (23. Rhyan GRANT 45’), 22. Max BURGESS, 26. Luke BRATTAN (8. Paulo RETRE 45’), 27. Elvis KAMSOBA, 32. Patrick YAZBEK (28. Calem NIEUWENHOF 64’), 33. Patrick WOOD, 35. Liam McGING.

Unused Subs: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 10. Milos NINKOVIC.

Yellow Cards: None.

Red Cards: None.

Sydney Olympic: 1. Nicholas SORRAS (GK), 3. Mathieu CORDIER, 4. Benjamin VAN MEURS, 5. Michael GLASSOCK, 7. William ANGEL, 8. Sam McILLHATTON, 9. Oliver PUFLETT (14. Emmanuel PETERS 64’), 11. Adam PARKHOUSE, 19. Darcy BURGESS (10. Brendan CHOLAKIAN 60’), 23. Daniel DIAS, 99. Roy O’DONOVAN.

Subs: 70. Christopher PARSONS (GK), 2. Thomas WHITESIDE, 24. Christopher GLIGOR, 22. Fabio FERREIRA, 17. Marley PETERSON.

Yellow Cards: Dias 21’, Van Meurs 44’.

Red Cards: None.

Venue: Belmore Sports Ground.

Referee: Ben Abraham.

Attendance: 3,271.