Sydney FC 1 (Boogaard own goal 44’) def. Newcastle Jets 0
Sydney FC has won its fourth game in a row at home, beating out Newcastle Jets 1-0 in what was a dominant display in front a boisterous Jubilee crowd.
Moments That Mattered:
- Le Fondre Chance – 20’ – Brosque lays it on for our front man whose stabbing side footed effort is just tipped over.
- Redmayne Save – 31’ – Jair’s cross cum shot is tipped away and over by an outstretched Redmayne.
- De Silva Chance – 32’ – Le Fondre weights his pass perfectly for De Silva to try and slot it in but it’s just cleared before the line.
- Boogaard Own Goal – 44’ – O’Neill’s ball intended for Brosque is slid past the keeper by his own centre-half in Boogaard.
- O’Neill Chance – 65’ – Newcastle defenders sit off O’Neill to gift an opportunity from long range which just fizzes past the bottom right.
- Hoffman Red Card – 74’ – A moment of madness as the Jets player lashes out at O’Neill.
- Le Fondre Chance – 87’ – Ivanovic leaves the Jets defence for dead to square the ball to Le Fondre but the keeper just does enough to stop the certain goal.
Chances in the first half came thick and fast with the Sky Blues dominating early proceedings with a De Silva effort being cleared off the line near the half hour mark.
The breakthrough and solitary goal came gifted from the opposition as Boogaard turned in O’Neill’s expertly weighted through ball.
Sydney FC continued in the same vain after break with the best of chances falling late to Le Fondre but the Golden Boot leader was just denied his 12th of the season.
Bimbi’s men have a short turnaround as they face Wellington away on Wednesday night.
What they said: Steve Corica
“Very happy with the clean sheet especially as they made a couple of subs and put some of the big boys on but we did well.
“We should have scored more goals but sometimes that happens. Alfie could have grabbed a couple tonight.
“We want to rotate as many boys as we can. Caceres was great in midfield; very comfortable on the ball.
“We have a game on Wednesday in Wellington and in Melbourne on Saturday. Ninko, Brillante and Retre will be back so we can look to freshen the squad again.
“It’s very important to keep winning. Melbourne got a result the other day and it put the pressure on us but the boys responded well today.
“We still have to play Perth once more and Melbourne another two games so those are the ones we can pick the points from
“It’s four in a row now here at Kogarah and the boy are playing great football. The boys are very confident at the moment”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER, 4. Alexander WILKINSON, 7. Michael ZULLO, 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 11. Daniel De SILVA (24. Cameron DEVLIN 81’), 13. Brandon O’NEILL, 14. Alex BROSQUE, 17. Anthony CACERES, 18. Jacob TRATT (3. Benjamin WARLAND 7’), 22. Siem De JONG (31. Luke IVANOVIC 85’)
Subs Not Used: 20. Aleksander CISAK (GK), 21. Charles LOKOLI-NGOY.
Yellow Cards: 2. Aaron CALVER 24’, 7. Michael ZULLO 29’, 24. Cameron DEVLIN 90+1’.
Red Cards: None.
Newcastle Jets: 1. Glen MOSS (GK), 3. Jason HOFFMAN, 4. Nigel BOOGAARD, 6. Steven UGARKOVIC, 7. Dimitri PETRATOS, 8. JAIR (24. Joseph CHAMPNESS 68’) , 9. Roy O’DONOVAN, 10. Ronald VARGAS (14. Kaine SHEPPARD 66’), 18. John KOUTROUMBIS, 23. Matthew RIDENTON, 44. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY.
Subs not used: 20. Lewis ITALIANO (GK), 13. Ivan VUJICA, 16. Nicholas COWBURN.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: 3. Jason HOFFMAN 74’
Ground: Jubilee Oval
Referee: Adam Fielding.