Sydney FC go down late against AIS

The AIS have caused a major boilover with a stunning 2-1 win over Sydney FC in their National Youth League clash at WIN Jubilee Oval on Sunday.

The AIS have caused a major boilover with a stunning 2-1 win over Sydney FC in their National Youth League clash at WIN Jubilee Oval on Sunday.

While Sydney’s finishing was below par, the AIS deserved the rare victory.

The winning goal came in the 83rd minute, a beautifully struck left foot volley from Joshua Barresi.

Barresi started the game and was substituted in the second half but when Benjamin Warland was injured, Barresi was allowed to return to the field as an interchange player.

Bright Appiah gave AIS an early lead, but his strike was cancelled out by Jordan Figon, before Barresi’s late stunner.

Considering the position of the two teams on the table and the fact the AIS had conceded a massive 20 goals in their previous three games, it was supposed to be a stroll in the park for Sydney.

“I don’t think we played as well today as we did against Melbourne Heart last week but we were very encouraged by that performance,” AIS coach Spencer Prior said.

“This is the youngest team the AIS has ever had and we have been playing older and stronger opposition. The boys were buzzing after last week and we came here with a good feeling.”

The AIS began nervously and Sydney opened them up repeatedly in the opening 10 minutes but couldn’t cash in on their chances.

Figon really should have had the home team ahead after seven minutes but wasted a great opportunity when in a one-on-one situation with AIS keeper Jordan Thurtell.

The gangly striker took the wrong option when he tried to chip the keeper.

The AIS survived the early onslaught and found themselves ahead in the 13th minute.

Scott Galloway did ever so well to keep the ball in play as he chased it up the left flank and crossed wide but it fell to the unmarked Bright Appiah.

He unleashed a power shot from 15m which Sydney keeper Ryan Norval got a hand to, but it ended up in the back of the net.

The goal inspired the AIS and they not only had Sydney on the back foot but John Karatzas, Barresi and Jakob Williams all had opportunities to make it tough for the Sky Blues to stay alive.

Sydney bombarded the AIS goalmouth in the last five minutes before the break and squandered opportunities to level.

Caleb Rufer would have been kicking himself after Figon set him up in the 43rd minute.

The second half started in the same fashion for Sydney.

Joe Gibbs never threatened keeper Thurtell with a shot in the 46th minute and, six minutes later, Figon made a run through the middle into open territory and was faced with only the keeper to beat.

Again the Sky Blues striker presented Thurtell with an easy save.

Substitute Jason Madonis added some spark in midfield for Sydney and he and Christopher Naumoff combined before Figon finally delivered the home team’s equaliser after 65 minutes.

But the AIS didn’t go into their shell.

Williams was presented with a free shot at goal in the 67th minute but couldn’t beat the outstretched right arm of Norval.

Norval saved Sydney’s bacon again in the 75th minute, this time denying AIS defender Brendan Gonano’s point blank header.

But there was nothing he could do to stop Barresi’s 83rd minute volley.

AIS 2 (Appiah 13, Barresi 83)
Sydney FC 1 (Figon 65)