Sydney FC 1 (Bobô 63’) Perth Glory 1 (Fornaroli 43’)
Sydney FC have been frustrated in Perth with a 1-1 draw having dominated large parts of the game and creating many, many chances.
Moments that Mattered:
- IVANOVIC HEADER – 8’ – Grant does brilliantly to chip the ball back across goal from the byline and Ivanovic leaps highest to loop a header towards goal but Reddy dives full length to palm it away.
- BOBÔ CHANCE – 18’ – Brattan’s cross to the back post finds Grant who heads back across to Bobô inside the six yard box and his falling volley is brilliantly saved by Reddy in goal.
- IVANOVIC SHOT – 20’ – Grant feeds Caceres who battles with Reddy and manages to flick the ball back to Ivanovic who puts his volley over from close range.
- BRATTAN SHOT – 29’ – Brattan shoots from long range is spilled by Reddy and hits Lachman who almost puts it over his own line but clears before it goes in.
- IVANOVIC SHOT BLOCKED – 31’ – Ninkovic dances his way into the box and the ball is pushed centrally to Ivanovic who sees two shots blocked with the second deflected over the bar.
- IVANOVIC DENIED AGAIN – 34’ – A fantastic ball from Brattan to Caceres through the Perth midfield allows the latter to feed Ivanovic who turns Lachman but sees his low shot saved by Reddy for what would have been one of the goals of the season.
- FORNAROLI GOAL – 43’ – Castro drives at the Sydney FC defence on the left hand side and crosses to Fornaroli at the back post to tap home.
- SYDNEY FC PENALTY OVERTURNED – 57′ – Bobô is bundled over in the box but the decision is overturned after a marginal offside in an earlier phase of play.
- BOBÔ TWO HEADERS SAVED – 62’ – Grant’s right wing cross finds Bobô’s head which a full stretch Reddy pushes behind, before Retre crosses from the left and Bobô’s flicked header is pushed over the bar by the keeper.
- BOBÔ GOAL – 63’ – Perth fail to clear a cross and headers from Ninkovic and Wilkinson find Bobô on the turn to smash a fabulous volley home.
- RETRE SHOT SAVED – 71’ – Retre has a shot from the edge of the box which is deflected and Reddy has to scurry to make a last ditch save to push it behind.
- PERTH GOAL OFFSIDE – 80’ – Keogh converts for Perth from point blank but the flag rightly is up.
- FORNAROLI CHANCE – 90+3‘ – The striker charges into the box, shifts the ball onto his right foot and sees a shot deflected wide.
Sydney FC will come away from Perth Glory with a point when it should have been all three after another fine display from an opposition keeper.
Liam Reddy denied the Sky Blues several times throughout the match, particularly in the first half when Perth striker Bruno Fornaroli gave the Glory the lead against the run of play.
Bobô was denied twice in the second half by Reddy before a penalty against the Brazilian was overturned, and then finally the equaliser came with a fantastic turn and volley.
The Sky Blues had further attacks frustrated while Perth almost snatched it late on, however it wasn’t to be and the game ended in a draw.
What they said: Steve Corica: “I think the game should have been wrapped up in the first half, we had so many chances.
“A little bit more composure in front of goal would have done us a world of good, and we would have been in front, but we slipped up once and it cost us, and they got the goal just before half time.
“Other than that I think we dominated the first half.
“In the second half we were good, we created chances, we got the goal back and almost had a penalty but Liam Reddy was excellent tonight.”
What they said: Bobô: “We are a little bit frustrated because we had a lot of chances to score in the first half and the keeper made six or seven good saves.
“I think we did well but I think we can do much better so we look forward to the next game.
“I love being back, it feels like I’m back home and I enjoy everything.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 78’), 9. BOBÔ, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 16. Joel KING, 17 Anthony CACERES, 18. Luke IVANOVIC (33. Patrick WOOD 59’), 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Benjamin WARLAND, 21. VAN DER SAAG, 27. Jordi SWIBEL, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF.
Yellow Cards: Grant 79’.
Red Cards: None
Perth Glory: 33.Liam REDDY (gk), 5.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, 6.Osama MALIK (19.Callum TIMMINS 89’), 8.Kosuke OTA, 9.Bruno FORNAROLI, 17.Diego CASTRO (C), 22.Josh RAWLINS (20.Carlo ARMIENTO 89’), 24.Daniel STYNES (23.Dane INGHAM 59’), 29.Darryl LACHMAN, 38.Ciaran BRAMWELL (10.Andy KEOGH 74’), 88.Neil KILKENNY.
Subs: 1.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 13.Luke BODNAR, 22. Bryce BAFFORD.
Yellow Cards: Fornaroli 30’, Aspropotamitis 46’.
Red Cards: None
Venue: HBF Park
Referee: Alireza Faghani