Westfield W-League Grand Final Summary
Sydney FC 0 def. by Melbourne City 1 (Catley 16’)
Sydney FC have finished the Westfield W-League 2019-20 season as runners-up following a 1-0 defeat to Melbourne City in this afternoon’s Grand Final at AAMI Park.
Moments That Mattered:
- Siemsen Chance – 8’ – Remy charges down the right flank and into the box before smashing a shot which Williams holds.
- Catley Goal – 16’ – The City captain plays a one-two with van Egmond before racing into the box and unleashing a powerful shot which Bledsoe can’t hold.
- Bledsoe Save – 26’ – van Egmond strides forward and shoots low but Bledsoe is down well to save to her left.
- Bledsoe Save – 32’ – A bad back pass allows Emslie free on goal but Bledsoe produces an outstanding save with her legs.
- Simon Hits Bar – 34’ – Former Sky Blue Kyah Simon hits a right wing cross towards goal which comes back off the crossbar.
- Sydney FC Penalty Denied – 36’ – Huerta crosses from the right and the ball strikes Catley on the arm in the box but the referee misses it.
- Latsko Great Chance – 49’ – Green plays a fantastic ball beyond the City backline for Latsko to run onto but Williams just gets a hand to her shot on the bounce, and Carpenter is able to clear off the line.
- Simon Chance – 57’ – Some neat play puts Kyah Simon clear but Bledsoe has her angles right and Simon flashes a shot beyond the far post.
- Ibini Chance – 80’ – Latsko squares the ball to Huerta who dummies allowing Ibini to get a clear strike at goal but Williams is down low to save.
Sydney FC have finished runners-up in the Westfield W-League 2019-20 season after falling 1-0 away to Melbourne City in their third consecutive Grand Final at AAMI Park this afternoon.
The Sky Blues had good patches of play and created some excellent chances, most notably one for Latsko in the second half, but an early Steph Catley goal was enough to deny them a record 4th Championship win.
Ante Juric’s team were also denied a first half penalty after the referee missed a Catley handball in the box.
It ends a successful season for the Sky Blues who finished the campaign in third place and still remain the only team to have qualified for all 12 Westfield W-League Finals Series.
What They Said: Captain Teresa Polias:
“Our girls are such a phenomenal group and I would lose with them a thousand times if that’s what it takes, but I have loved playing alongside them and leading them and we go again next year.
“We came close but I think we’ve set up our team really well for the future and I can’t wait to see what’s ahead of us.
“Sorry to our fans who couldn’t get here but we know you were at home cheering us on and we love you.”
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE, 2. Teresa POLIAS, 5. Ally GREEN, 7. Ellie BRUSH, 8. Lindsay AGNEW, 10. Remy SIEMSEN (20. Princess IBINI-ISEI 63’), 11. Sofia HUERTA, 12. Natalie TOBIN (19. Amy SAYER 73’), 13. Veronica LATSKO, 14. Alanna KENNEDY, 18. Taylor RAY (15. Mackenzie HAWKESBY 85’).
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK), 17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU.
Yellow Cards None.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne City: 1. Lydia WILLIAMS, 2. Yukari KINGA (20. Milica MIJATOVIC 67’), 3. Lauren BARNES, 6. Avi LUIK, 7. Stephanie CATELY, 9. Claire EMSLIE, 10. Emily van EGMOND, 13. Rebekah STOTT, 15. Emma CHECKER, 17. Kyah SIMON (22. Ally WATT 85’), 21. Ellie CARPENTER.
Subs Not Used: 23. Melissa BARBIERI (GK), 11. Rhali DOBSON, 19. Tyla-Jay VLAJNIC.
Yellow Cards: None
Red Cards: None.
Ground: AAMI Park.
Referee: Rebecca Durcau