Sydney FC were denied by a number of fine saves from Brisbane Roar keeper Jamie Young in a battling point in a 1-1 showing away from home.
Sydney FC 1 (Bobô 70’) drew w. Brisbane Roar 1 (Wenzell-Halls 18’)
Sydney FC were denied by a number of fine saves from Brisbane Roar keeper Jamie Young in a battling 1-1 showing away from home.
Moments That Mattered:
- WENZELL-HALLS GOAL – 18’ – The home side open the scoring as his low driving shot finds it’s way past Redmayne.
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 22’ – Caceres shows off his playmaking abilities with a wonderful through ball for the Kiwi international but his close range effort is parried away by Young.
- CACERES CHANCE – 24’ – Caceres tries to level the match on his own, cutting inside with a curling effort towards goal but it’s just tipped over by Young.
- WOOD CHANCE – 44’ – Wood finds himself in behind the Brisbane defence and thumps an effort towards the far post but Young again denies.
- MCGOWAN CHANCE – 50’ – The ball is bounced around the 18-yard box to fall the way of McGowan who see’s his header saved at the last by Young.
- BOBÔ GOAL – 70’ – Bobô back in Sky Blue and back to scoring as King’s exquisite far post ball finds the Brazilian’s head as he thumps it past a rooted Young.
- DANZAKI OFF THE BAR – 84’ – Dangzaki misses guilt edge chance in front of goal with his header hitting the bar and being cleared away.
The contest started rapidly as both sides had chances in the opening ten minutes with the Sky Blues looking the most likely to break the deadlock.
However, Brisbane opened the scoring just before the twenty minute mark through Wenzell-Halls as a low driving effort was hit with just enough venom to make its way past Redmayne.
Sydney FC responded positively as the side dominated the remainder of the chances in the half, coming agonisingly close on a number of occasions with Young keeping Brisbane in the lead through some last ditch goalkeeping.
Corica’s men dominated possession in the second half with pace and chances, peppering the Brisbane end with efforts on goal and Young again saved the graces of the home side.
The Sky Blues dominance finally told through an old but familiar way as Bobô nabbed his first goal since his return to the club, nodding home from close range after being found with an inch perfect back post cross by King.
Both sides looked in search of goal but it wasn’t to be with the two sides unable to be separated for the second time this season.
Sydney FC will look to gain all three points in their next contest against Western United on Wednesday night at Netstrata Jubilee Oval, the first of three home games.
What they said: Steve Corica: “I think we had our chances in the first half.
“It was a very uncharacteristic mistake from Redders but he got on with his job.
“I’m pleased with the young boys stepping up in King, Nieuwenhof, Wood & Swibel.”
[On Bobo goal] “He doesn’t need many chances and it was a fantastic cross from King.
“It’s great to have Brattan back tonight as he starts a lot of our play and is a great passer of the ball.
“For me we’re not playing badly. We are creating chances and I’d be more concerned if we weren’t creating them.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (27. Jordan SWIBEL 45’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN, 28. Calem NIEUWENHOF (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 74’), 33. Patrick WOOD (9. BOBO 45’).
Subs: 20. Tomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Ben WARLAND, 21. Harry Van Der SAAG, 32. Patrick YAZBEK.
Yellow Cards: 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES 9’, 10. Milos NINKOVIC 25’, 23. Rhyan GRANT 36′
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21. Jamie YOUNG (GK), 3. Corey BROWN, 5. Tom ALDRED, 6. Macauley GILLESPHEY, 10. Riku DANZAKI, 17. Gol-Gol MEBRAHTU (9. Masato KUDO 60’), 19. Jack HINGERT, 23. Dylan WENZEL-HALLS (11. Joe CHAMPNESS 78’), 25. Rahmat AKBARI (15. Jesse DALEY 78’), 26. Jay O’SHEA, 27. Kai TREWIN.
Subs: 1. Macklin REKE (GK), 16. Josh BRINDELL-SOUTH, 29. Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS, 33. KEEGAN JELACIC.
Yellow Cards: 6. Macauley GILLESPHEY 58′
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Dolphin Stadium
Referee: Shaun Evans