Sydney FC Defeated In Mariners Friendly

Sydney FC 0 def. by Central Coast Mariners 3 (Urena 53’ , Tsekenis 80’ , 84’)

Sydney FC have put another 90 minutes under their belt in pre-season in preparation for the A-League kick off in a behind closed doors friendly.

Moments That Mattered

REDMAYNE SAVE – 38’ – Andrew Redmayne makes a great save to deny Storm Roux who lashes a half volley from just inside the box.

MARINERS GOAL – 53’ – Quick counter from Marcus Urena who feeds in Mathew Hatch on the wing. Hatch cuts it back inside for Urena to smash it into the back of the net inside the box.

BIRIGHITTI DOUBLE SAVE – 65’ – Mariners goalkeeper Mark Birighitti does well to deny Adam Le Fondre from close range. The ball falls to Kamsoba who squares it to Burgess who then forces another save from the goalkeeper.

BIRIGHITTI SAVES BRATTAN FREE-KICK – 70′ – Birighitti is down brilliantly to save from Brattan’s low drilled free-kick.

MARINERS GOAL – 80’ – Another counter attack from the visitors to make it 2-0. An unlucky deflection off Alex Wilkinson puts Damian Tsekenis clean through on goal to put it past Tom Hewerd-Belle.

LE FONDRE GOAL OFFSIDE – 82′ – Barbarouses plays a delightful ball to Le Fondre who finishes into the bottom corner but it’s disallowed for off-side.

MARINERS GOAL – 84’ – The visitors make it 3-0 after Nisbet cuts it back from the left wing for Tsekenis to tap in.

Burgess goes past Farrell


Sydney FC have put another solid 90 minutes in the tank after going down to the Central Coast Mariners this afternoon.

After controlling most of the football the Sky Blues were hit on the break and the Mariners took the lead in the second half when a quick counter attack was finished off by Marcus Urena from 10 yards.

Sydney FC continued to dominate and Mark Birighitti was kept busy by pulling off a great double save from Le Fondre and Burgess.

Luke Brattan forced another save from Birighitti with a low, hard free kick which was cleared away.

The Mariners struck again on the counter when Tsekenis found himself one-on-one with Heward-Belle.

Tsekenis grabbed his second moments later after another quick counter attack down the wing found Josh Nisbet who squared the ball for Tsekenis to score again.