*Header photo by Jaime Castaneda (@jamcas50)
Sydney FC 0 drew w. Newcastle Jets 0
Sydney FC have played out a pulsating draw against the Newcastle Jets at Apex Oval in Dubbo on Saturday.
In a match the Sky Blues largely dominated, they were left frustrated by a plucky Jets side who had a last gasp chance to seal the match, hitting the bar with the final kick of the game.
Moments That Mattered:
- Redmayne Save – 7’ – Dimi Petratos curls a free kick at goal from the top of the box, and Redmayne gets down low at his near post to save.
- Alfie Goes Close – 11’ – Brandon O’Neill’s cut back from the byline finds the Englishman on the edge of the area, and his curling shot forces a sharp save.
- Jets’ Penalty Miss – 22’ – A harsh call sees the Jets handed a penalty as Ryan McGowan was adjudged to have fouled in the box, however Petratos blasts the spot kick into the post before it’s cleared.
- Ninkovic Fires Wide – 32’ – The best chance of the first half falls to the Serbian who sidefoots just wide from inside the area after being found by Ivanovic on the right.
- Alfie Shoots Just Wide – 50’ – O’Neill finds Adam Le Fondre on the edge of the box, and he takes a touch out of his feet before curling just wide.
- Alfie Hits The Post – 55’ – Adam Le Fondre drives a powerful effort at goal and it rattles off the post before it’s cleared.
- Fitzgerald Just Wide – 72’ – Nick Fitzgerald is played in on the left and his dink around Redmayne bobbles just wide of the far post.
- Petratos Fires Wide – 81’ – The Socceroo links up with his younger brother in the Sky Blues’ box and blazes an effort just wide of the post from in close.
- Swibel Hits The Post – 87’ – Youngster Jordi Swibel takes it to the byline before firing a low effort into the woodwork and out.
- Ugarkovic Off The Bar – 93’ – In the last play of the match Steven Ugarkovic has an effort at goal from close range while falling, with his effort smashing the crossbar before heading out.
The Sky Blues controlled possession from the start as they shifted the ball around well, with Luke Ivanovic and Adam Le Fondre proving lively up front.
It was the Jets, however, who threatened first as Dimi Petratos saw a low curling free kick saved well by Andrew Redmayne at the near post.
Adam Le Fondre went close next as the Sky Blues started to find space going forward before the Jets were handed a golden opportunity to take the lead.
Ryan McGowan was adjudged to have fouled and taken out the man as he won the ball in the box, with the referee harshly pointing to the spot. The Sky Blues were handed a reprieve however, as Dimi Petratos blasted his spot kick into the post with the game deadlocked half an hour in.
Milos Ninkovic had a great chance to open scoring as he sidefooted wide following a great run forward from Luke Ivanovic, but the scores remained level at the break.
Sydney FC continued in much the same vein as the first half, with Adam Le Fondre firing wide and also rattling the post, before a late flurry from the Jets saw Steven Ugarkovic rattle the bar with the final kick of the game.
In the end both sides were forced to settle for a draw, played out in front of an enthusiastic and boisterous crowd at Apex Oval.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica: “We dominated most of that game but towards the end it got a bit too open and transitional. Other than that, we created more chances than they did and I’m very pleased considering we had a couple of players out as well.
“Defensively we were very good again, especially first half, and the goals will come. We’re creating some good chances and the build up play today was very good.
“There’s a lot of competition for places, it’s really good at the moment. I think all the boys are working extremely hard.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 7. Michael ZULLO (60’ 16. Joel KING), 8. Paulo RETRE (72’ 29. Harry VAN DER SAAG), 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC (61’ 5. Alex BAUMJOHANN), 13. Brandon O’NEILL, 17. Anthony CACERES, 18. Luke IVANOVIC (75’ 27. Jordi SWIBEL), 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs Not Used: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 24. Marco TILIO, 25. Ryan TEAGUE, 28. Anton MLINARIC.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Newcastle Jets: 20. Lewis ITALIANO (GK) (70’ 40. Noah JAMES (GK)), 3. Jason HOFFMAN (75’ 19. Kosta PETRATOS), 4. Nigel BOOGAARD (46’ 22. Lachlan JACKSON), 6. Steven UGARKOVIC, 10. Dimi PETRATOS, 11. Nick FITZGERALD, 14. Kane SHEPPARD (46’ 9. Abdiel ARROYO), 16. Matt MILLAR, 23. Matt RIDENTON (60’ 32. Angus THURGATE), 44. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY (70’ 28. Patrick LANGLOIS), 47. Bobby BURNS (46’ 18. Johnny KOUTROUMBIS).
Subs Not Used: None.
Yellow Cards: None.
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Apex Oval