No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled
No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

Aug 06, 2023   |  7:27PM AET

Sunday stalemate with Jets in friendly

Sunday stalemate with Jets in friendly

On Sunday afternoon, Sydney FC and the Newcastle Jets locked horns at Sky Park, Sydney FC’s new Centre of Excellence and couldn’t be separated after 90 minutes of end to end action.

Both teams named strong sides for what will be Sydney FC’s final test before competitive action in the Australia Cup against the Central Coast Mariners next Sunday at WIN Stadium.

Andrew Redmayne started in goals with Luke Brattan and Corey Hollman again occupying the middle of the park, and Joe Lolley, Robert Mak and Pat Wood offering the attacking options up front.

In the early stages of the match, Sydney FC absorbed some pressure from the Jets before Joe Lolley tested Ryan Scott from a dead ball situation and Joel King continued to get forward on the left, delivering some dangerous balls into Pat Wood.

Against the run of play, Newcastle struck the post on a breakaway and Andrew Redmayne was called into action moments later courtesy of a drive from Callum Timmins.

Joel King on the left
Mitch Glasson competes with Ryan Scott

With the match beginning to head into an end to end fashion, Steve Corica’s side were the next to attack with Luke Brattan seeing his volley blocked and Pat Wood being released in behind by Zac De Jesus, but with the angle tight, he could’t steer his effort on target.

At half time, as per usual, the changes were made with Adrian Segecic, Kealey Adamson, Matty Scarcella and Nathan Amanatidis all entering the field of play for Jaiden Kucharski, Zac De Jesus, Corey Hollman and Pat Wood.

Joe Lolley continued his attacking intent in the second 45 with a great slide rule pass through to Adrian Segecic who faced the Jets keeper one on one but was denied.

Robert Mak on the ball

Robert Mak and Joe Lolley made way later in the second half with Joey Calusic, an Academy player, coming on alongside Mitch Glasson.

The Sky Blues and the Jets continued to trade blows as the game neared its conclusion with Jacob Dowse being denied with a brilliant one on one save by Andrew Redmayne and Mitch Glasson setting up Adrian Segecic at the other end. Glasson would have another chance in the dying stages, but he was unable to divert the cross on target.

A clean sheet for Sydney FC will be a positive to take ahead of the return to the Australia Cup next Sunday against the Central Coast Mariners in Wollongong.

Joe Lolley tussling with Brandon O’Neill

Sydney FC 0-0 Newcastle Jets

Sydney FC