Western Sydney Wanderers 5 (Harrison 3’, Cooney-Cross 6’, 42’, Williams 76’, 88’) def. Sydney FC 0
Sydney FC have come unstuck in the Westfield W-League Sydney Derby after a clinical performance secured the points for the Western Sydney Wanderers.
Moments That Mattered:
- HARRISON GOAL – 3’ – Williams goes clear on the right and pulls the ball back to Hamilton who lays it off to Harrison to fire home from the top of the box.
- COONEY-CROSS GOAL – 6’ – Williams skips free on the right, and cuts back from the byline for Cooney-Cross for a simple finish.
- PENALTY APPEAL – 20’ – Caitlin Foord’s cross strikes the hand of Staab in the box but there’s nothing given and play goes on.
- BLEDSOE SAVE – 30’ – A good stop from Bledsoe at her near post as Williams gets free in the box to get a shot off.
- COONEY-CROSS GOAL – 42’ – The striker hits a right footed shot from 20 yards which finds the corner of the net to make it 3-0.
- LOGARZO CHANCE – 67’ – Sayer latches onto a wayward pass and plays in Logarzo who’s shot is saved by Smith.
- WILLIAMS CHANCE – 68’ – Williams runs onto a ball behind the defence and rounds the keeper but has an awful finish putting the ball wide of the empty goal.
- HUERTA CHANCE – 73’ – Huerta dispossesses the midfielder and runs at the centre half before striking a low shot which Smith does well to save.
- WILLIAMS GOAL – 76’ – Williams has an easy tap in from a Hamilton cross and despite replays showing her in an offside position the goal stands.
- BLEDSOE GREAT SAVE – 78’ – Aubrey dives full length to push a Williams shot around the post.
WILLIAMS GOAL – 88’ – Williams is played clear and does well to round Aubrey and slot into an empty net.
Sydney FC have gone down to Western Sydney Wanderers in the first Westfield W-League derby of the season.
The home side took the lead in the third minute thanks to an Amy Harrison strike and doubled the lead three minutes later when Williams again turned provider but this time for Cooney Cross.
The Sky Blues had claims for a penalty waved away when the ball clearly struck Staab’s hand and then fell further behind when Cooney-Cross fired in a long range effort.
Further chances fell to both sides in a feisty second half however it was the Wanderers who were able to capitalise with Williams tapping in a Hamilton cross and finishing off a ball played in behind.
The Sky Blues move onto face Adelaide United in the triple header at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on December 29th.
What They Said: Ante Juric
“It’s disappointing to play the way we did, especially in a derby, which is a game our fans deserve to see us at our best.
However, I have enormous belief in these girls and they take set backs as opportunities to get better and that is what we aim to do.”
Sydney FC: 1. Aubrey BLEDSOE, 2. Teresa POLIAS (c) (12. Natalie TOBIN 87′), 5. Ally GREEN (3. Veronica LATSKO 45’), 6. Chloe LOGARZO, 7. Ellie BRUSH, 9. Caitlin FOORD, 10. Remy SIEMSEN (19. Amy SAYER 64’), 11. Sofia HUERTA, 14. Alanna KENNEDY, 17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU, 20. Princess IBINI-ISEI.
Subs Not Used: 30. Trudy BURKE (GK),.
Yellow Cards: Ibini 70’.
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers: 1. Abby SMITH, 3. Sam STAAB, 5. Courtney NEVIN, 6. Denise O’SULLIVAN (20. Vesna MILIVOJEVIC 82’), 7. Amy HARRISON, 8. Erica HALLOWAY (c), 9. Lynn WILLIAMS, 10. Kyra COONEY-CROSS, 15. Alexandra HUYNH (4. Caitlin COOPER 72’), 21. Ella MASTRANTONIO, 23. Kristin HAMILTON
Subs Not Used: 11. Cortnee VINE, 30. NEWBON (GK)
Yellow Cards: O’Sullivan 9’, Mastrantonio 33’, Harrison 59’,
Red Cards: None.
Ground: Bankwest Stadium.
Referee: Lara Lee