Sky Blues Thrash St George


Sydney FC’s PlayStation 4 NPL NSW Men’s 2 side recorded their best win of the season on Saturday, with an emphatic 8-1 demolition of St George FC at Lambert Park, Leichhardt.

The Sky Blues were ruthless going forward and had virtually wrapped up the match by the 15th minute as they surged to a 5-0 lead.

Charles Lokolingoy opened the scoring with barely ninety seconds on the clock after George Timotheou played a delightful ball down the line to Bai Antoniou who in turn squared the ball across the face of goal for Lokolingoy slam home for his 22nd goal of the season.

By the 5th minute it was 2-0 as William Mutch headed in on the back post and it was followed a minute later by Daniel Araujo as his shot from the edge of the box sailed into the roof of net for 3-0.

Sydney FC kept their foot on the pedal and with 10 minutes gone Antoniou drove into the penalty and shot low and hard to find the back of the net with the help of a slight deflection and while it was now 4-0 the goal was awarded as an own goal by the officials.

As the rain came down over Lambert Park it likewise continued to rain goals for Sydney FC as Mutch made it 5-0 in the 15th minute when he slotted home his brace after a Chris Zuvela shot rebounded off the post and into the path of the Sky Blue winger.

St George managed to grab a consolation after 19 minutes when Dimitrios Zakilas volleyed in a goal but that was the only joy the Saints would have on the night.

Sydney FC created several more chances and but for some off target shooting the efforts of the Saints keeper the scoreboard could of kept ticking over, however t the teams went to the break with Sydney FC in a commanding 5-1 lead.

The Sky Blues came out for the second half and started where they left off as Antoniou went clean through only to be denied by a sharp save from George Bouropoulos in goal.

The Sky Blues didn’t have to wait too long to increase their lead, as a Cristian Gonzalez free kick on 55 minutes saw Timotheou leap highest at the back post to rifle in a strong header to make it 6-1.

Substitute Chris Arditti made an immediate impact after coming on for Zuvela after 60 minutes and tapped in from close range for a 7-1 advantage.

Arditti’s pace and mobility were causing an already tired St George backline all sorts of headaches and this was exacerbated when he was brought down in a last man tackle after 65 minutes and the Saints were down to ten men as Ali Nasreddine was shown a straight red card.

Arditti was again involved a few minutes later as he jinked his way in the penalty area before cutting the ball back to Nicola Kuleski who rammed home the final goal for 8-1.

Head Coach Rob Stanton said he was extremely pleased and proud of the display.

“St George have been in good form in the past weeks with draws against Marconi and Wanderers,” he said.

“Our performance tonight was very good but we park it and focus on our next opponent”

With wins for the Under 18’s 4-3 and Under 20’s 6-3 it was another clean sweep in the Club Championship stakes and the 21 points earned sees Sydney FC nudge ahead by 12 points in the standings.

Sydney FC next face Macarthur Rams on Saturday, 16 July at Lynwood Park, St Helens Park (kick off 7pm).

Sydney FC 8 (Lokolingoy 2′; Mutch 5’/15′; Araujo 6′; Own Goal 11′; Timotheou 55′; Arditti 60′; Kuleski 65′) defeated St George 1 (Dimitrios Zakilas 19′)

Sydney FC Line Up: Mitch Evans (GK); Nicola Kuleski (Brendan Curtis 85′); Patrick Flottmann; George Timotheou; Cristian Gonzalez (Daniel Maskin 61′); Yianni Spyrakis (C); Chris Zuvela (Chris Arditti 57′); Daniel Araujo; Bai Antoniou; Charles Lokolingoy; William Mutch

Subs Not Used: Nick Sorras (GK); Mathew Green


CLICK HERE to become a Sydney FC Member for Hyundai A-League season 2016/17.