Report: Sydney FC fall short against Korean champs

Sydney FC fell to Hyundai Steel Red Angels in Tashkent, ending their dream of progression to the final of the AFC Women’s Club Championship.

Goals either side of half time from the Koreans along with a stunning long range effort were enough despite plenty of positivity from the Sky Blues across the tournament.

Hyundai Steel Red Angels Women’s FC 3 (N’Rehy 45′, Hyeji 54′, Hyeri 70′) def. Sydney FC 0

Shea Connors started another match under Ante Juric

Moments That Mattered

9′ – WORTS GOES CLOSE – Fiona Worts can’t divert her effort on goal after a great cross from Shea Connors.

38′ – IBINI OFF THE LINE – Princess Ibini does really well defending a corner to sweep the ball off the paint and away from danger.

45′ – STEEL RED TAKE THE LEAD – The Koreans make their way through the middle of the park and Tia N’Rehy slots it under Jada Whyman.

46′ – PENALTY SHOUT WAVED AWAY – Kirsty Fenton’s header is blocked, Jessican Seaman then hits the post and following the scramble, Princess Ibini is up-ended but no penalty is given.

54′ – RED ANGLES DOUBLE THE LEAD – The Koreans work a corner around the back and Hong Hyeji is un-marked and taps home.

70′ – HYUNDAI ADD ANOTHER – A stunning long range effort from Kim Hyeri rockets into the top corner.

Tori Tumeth on the ball

What They Said: Ante Juic:

“It’s a disappointing result but our girls really worked hard and tried hard.

“We are a very young team and we played Red Angels who have seven full internationals so they are a very strong team.

“We didn’t finish our chances, yes we didn’t get a lot but we didn’t take them and we could’ve had a penalty which may have helped us so disappointing, but overall happy because we would’ve learnt a lot.

“Their three goals, one was world class and the other two were maybe mistakes but they are a very good team and we have definitely learnt a lot.”

Ante Juric took plenty of positives from their time in Uzbekistan

Match Report

Sydney FC and Hyundai Steel Red Angels came into this clash with a perfect record so far in the group and in the end, it would be the Koreans who would maintain that.

The serial WK-League winners proved to strong for the Sky Blues and ran out 3-0 winners to set up a meeting with Urawa Red Diamonds in the final.

It started out a very cagey affair at the Jar Stadium with both teams not wanting to expose themselves with so much on the line.

Ante Juric looks on from the sideline

The Sky Blues had the opening effort at goal wiith Shea Connors picking up the ball out on the right hand side and whipping in a delightful cross to the front post where Fiona Worts was waiting. Unfortunately, the Englishwoman wasn’t able to divert her effort the right side of the post.

As the half wore on, the quality of the South Koreans began to show with Sydney FC only able to hit on the counter attack and they were lucky not to be behind from a corner. As the ball came in and the bodies rushed to the front post, no one was able to make contact and with a spare player round the back, Hyundai Steel Red thought they had opened the scoring but Princess Ibini slid in at the back post and. cleared the ball off the line.

When it seemed as if both teams were heading in level, Tia N’Rehy ran onto a through ball that split the Sydney FC defence and slotted it under the on-rushing Jada Whyman to give the WK-League champions the lead.

I. Dos Santos battles for the ball

Into the second half, the Sky Blues looked to get onto the scoresheet quickly and almost did with two chances in the space of five seconds. Kirsty Fenton saw her header blocked on the way to goal and Jessican Seaman’s follow up deflected and spun off the base off the post. The chaos wasn’t done though as Princess Ibini took the ball away from the Red Steel keeper and was up-ended but the referee waved off the strong claims for a penalty from Sydney.

Sydney FC’s early second half momentum was interrupted when Hong Hyeji found the net from a Ko Yoojin pass, seeing the Red Angels double their lead against the Sky Blues. Another corner wasn’t cleared properly and with an extra player around the back, they played through the holes and slotted home to double their advantage.

The Red Angels began to dominate possession, which denied the Sky Blues any opportunities before a solo effort by Kim Hyeri saw the Red Angels score the third goal of the afternoon. Jada Whyman had absolutely no chance with this effort, the ball rifling into the top corner from 25 yards out.

Sydney FC could not convert any opportunities towards the backend of the second half, which meant they finished in 2nd place in Group B. Hyundai Steel Red Angels topped the group with maximum points and will move onto the final which will be played at a later date.

The Sky Blues will head back to Australia over the next two days and will return to Liberty A-League action this weekend when they fly to South Australia to take on Adelaide United.

Sydney FC: 1. Jada WHYMAN (GK), 3. Charlotte MCLEAN, 4. Tori TUMETH (14. Abbey LEMON 82’), 5. Kirsty FENTON, 9. Shea CONNORS (24. Caley TALLON-HENNIKER 56’), 18. Taylor RAY (6. Lucy JOHNSON 63’), 20. Princess IBINI ©, 21. Shay HOLLMAN, 22. Indiana DOS SANTOS (19. Zara KRUGER 46’), 23. Fiona WORTS (13. Aideen KEANE 82’), 25. Jessica SEAMAN.

Unused Subs: 30. Tahlia FRANCO (GK), 40. Jasmine BLACK (GK), 2. Margaux CHAUVET, 7. Teigan COLLISTER, 17. Jynaya DOS SANTOS.

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None

Hyundai Steel Red Angels: 18. Kim JUNG MI (GK), 3. Hong HYEJI, 5. Ko YOOJIN (17. Lee SEAEUN 75’), 8. Jang CHANG (9. Jung SEOLBIN 69’), 10. Tia N’RÈHY (21. Choi YOOJUNG 89’), 11. Terry ENGESHA, 19. Yoon HYEIN, 20. Kim HYERI ©, 25. Yoko TANAKA (14. Oh YEONHEE 89’), 26. Lim SEONJOO, 27. Namgung YEJI (28. Kang CHAERIM 75’).

Unused Subs: 1. Kim MINJUNG (GK), 12. Seong SEOULSEORABEOL (GK), 2. Lee DEOKJU, 4. Kim DOYEON, 13. Kim SEONGMI, 15. Baek JINJU, 24. Lee SOHEE.

Yellow cards: None

Red cards: None

Venue: Jar Stadium, Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Referee: Bernatskaia. Veronika (Krygyz Republic)