Redmayne Penalty Heroics Secured Australia Cup Passage

Sydney FC are through to the last 16 of the Australia Cup after a thrilling match which ended 3-3 after extra time with the Sky Blues prevailing 10-9 on penalties with Andrew Redmayne scoring the decisive spot kick.

Sydney FC 3 (Mak 42’, Wood 58’, Kucharski 122′)  Central Coast Mariners 3 (Kuol 60’, Tulio 84’ pen, Steele 100’) a.e.tSydney FC win 10-9 on penalties.

Sydney FC poses with the progression flag after winning the round of 32 Australia Cup match.

Moments That Mattered

TULIO CHANCE – 10’- Kuol gets to the byline and drills the ball to the back post and when it’s returned to the centre Tulio side-foots the ball past the post from close range.

WOOD CHANCE – 17’ – Brattan feeds Wood who gets the ball out of his feet to shoot but it’s deflected wide by the defender.

MARINERS GOAL DISALLOWED – 24’ – A left wing free kick is nudged home but the flag is raised for an offside.

MAK GOAL – 42’ – Lolley slides in Mak in the left wing channel and the Slovakian comes back in on his right foot and slots the ball into the far corner.

REDMAYNE SAVE – 47’ – Reec is sent through and shoots from outside the box which Redmayne parries and it’s cleared.

WOOD GOAL – 58’ – Mak intercepts a ball finds Wood who spreads it out wide to Lolley.  The Englishman cuts inside and finds Mak again who crosses for Wood to tap in.

KUOL GOAL – 60’ – A left wing cross is headed home by Kuol.

TULIO GOAL – 84’ – Theoharous is brought down in the box by Brattan and Tulio steps up to slot home the penalty.

Sydney FC players celebrate the win on penalties.

LOLLEY SHOT WIDE – 90’+1’ – The ball breaks to Lolley on the right and he shoots but it’s deflected past the post.

LOLLEY SHOT SAVED – 90’+2’ – A left wing corner is flicked on to Lolley the back post and he volleys a shot which the keeper is down to save.

SEGECIC SHOT SAVED – 90’+5’ – Segecic has the ball on his left foot and drills it to the far post but the keeper gets a hand to it.

LOLLEY SHOT SAVED – 95’ – Kucharski and Segecic combine to release Kucharski and his cross gives Lolley a chance but the keeper gets across to save.

STEELE GOAL – 100’ – Steele volleys home after an initial shot is blocked.

HAMMOND HITS THE POST – 114’ – A right wing cross is headed against the post for the Mariners.

SEGECIC SHOT SAVED – 116’ – A wide angled shot from Segecic hits the post.

PAULL CLEARS OFF THE LINE – 118’ – A goalmouth scramble is cleared off the line by Mariners defender Paull.

KUCHARSKI GOAL – 123’ – Brattan finds Kucharski out wide right and the youngster beats two men and curls a shot inside the far post for a fantastic goal.

REDMAYNE WINNING PENALTY – Redmayne dives to his right to save Warshawsky’s penalty in sudden death and steps up to score his own.

Head Coach Steve Corica after the win.

What They Said: Steve Corica: “It was a very hard-fought game – they’re the champions.

“I thought we showed great spirit to go up 2-0, then they come back into the game and go on to take a 3-2 lead.

“We showed great character again with the final goal to make it 3-3. We had a young team and those boys did really well. There is a lot to work on as well moving forward, but we’re very happy to get through to the next round.”

get better.”

Match Report:  Sydney FC are through to the last 16 of the Australia Cup after a thrilling match which ended 3-3 after extra time with the Sky Blues prevailing 10-9 on penalties.

Penalty hero Andrew Redmayne saved a spot-kick from Mariners keeper Jack Warshawsky and got up to smash his home past his counterpart to win the game after all 11 on field players took a kick.

The game went to penalties after Jaiden Kucharski had brilliantly equalised with the last kick of the game to level the Mariners third goal in extra time from Harry Steele.

The score was 2-2 after 90 minutes as the Mariners came back from 2-0 down.

The Sky Blues enjoyed most of the possession in the first half but it was the Mariners who almost took the lead from a free kick which was ruled out for offside.

Eventually Sydney FC did break the deadlock through Robert Mak who finished well into the far corner when coming in from the left.

In the second half Pat Wood doubled the Sky Blues advantage with a well worked goal before the Mariners pulled back immediately with a Kuol header.

The Sky Blues looked comfortable but disaster struck on 84 minutes when a marauding run from Theoharous is brought to an end by Brattan the the referee points to the spot.  Tulio makes no mistake.

Sydney FC continued to push and could have won it late on with strikes from Lolley and Segecic but they were saved.

More chances followed for the Sky Blues in the extra time but against the run of play the Mariners took the lead with a Steele volley.

As Sydney FC pushed for an equaliser Kucharski produced a moment of quality with the final kick sending the game into penalties.

Sydney had the chance to win after the first five penalties but Segecic missed from penalty number five.

It took every player on both sides to take a penalty and score before Redmayne’s decisive intervention.

Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 3. Aaron GURD, 8. Jake GIRDWOOD-REICH, 10. Joe LOLLEY, 11. Robert MAK (19. Mitch GLASSON 82’), 12. Corey HOLLMAN (7. Adrian SEGECIC 88’), 13. Pat WOOD (25. Jaiden KUCHARSKI 67’), 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 26. Luke BRATTAN, 27. Kealey ADAMSON.

Unused Subs: 30. Adam PAVLESIC (GK), 18. Matthew SCARCELLA, 21. Zac DE JESUS, 24. Hayden MATTHEWS.

Yellow Cards: Wood 56’, Brattan 74’.

Red Cards: None

Central Coast Mariners FC: 30. Jack WARSHAWSKY (GK), 2. Mikael DOKA (7. Christian THEOHAROUS 55’), 4. Josh NISBET, 6. Max BALARD © (5. Noah SMITH 61’), 9. Alou KUOL (13. Harrison STEELE 90’), 10. Marco TULIO (34. Aydan HAMMOND 108’), 15. Storm ROUX (3. Brian KALTAK 75’), 17. Jing REEC (14. Dylan WENZEL-HALLS 61’), 18. Jacob FARRELL, 23. Dan HALL, 33. Nathan PAULL.

Substitutes: 40. Dylan PERAIC-CULLEN.

Yellow Cards: Hall 112’, Theoharous 118’, Wenzel-Halls 120’.

Red Cards: None

Venue: WIN Stadium

Referee: Alireza Faghani

Attendance: 2,540