Perth Glory 0 Sydney FC 0

Sydney FC has maintained its unbeaten Hyundai A-League record versus Perth Glory, having the better of a goalless draw at Members Equity Stadium.

Sydney FC has maintained its unbeaten Hyundai A-League record versus Perth Glory, having the better of a goalless draw at Members Equity Stadium.

In a game of few chances, Sydney FC had four shots on target to Perth Glory’s two despite making the coast-to-coast trip without five regular starters – Clint Bolton, Alex Brosque, Juninho, Mark Milligan and Ruben Zadkovich.

Sydney FC had the first genuine effort in the 18th minute. Ufuk Talay took one step before striking a free kick from well outside the box which Perth Glory goalkeeper Tommi Tomich could only parry. Patrick reacted quickly and spectacularly to propel the ball back into the danger zone with an overhead kick but the home team put it behind for a corner kick.

The set piece came to nothing but, seconds later, David Zdrilic had a glorious chance to put Sydney FC in front. Steve Corica’s pin-point cross from the left flank found Zdrilic’s head but, with Perth Glory custodian Tomich in no man’s land, the former Qantas Socceroos striker glanced the ball inches wide of an unguarded goal.

Although Perth Glory kept making decent in-roads down its left-hand side it took more than half an hour for Ron Smith’s team to test Sydney FC’s debut-making goalkeeper, Matthew Nash, and even then it was only a tame effort from a dead-ball situation. One of Craig Zetter’s assistant referees flagged for a soft foul against Iain Fyfe and, although Nick Rizzo got the ball around the wall, it did not have sufficient venom to beat Nash.

Smith made a tactical switch after the half-time break, Jordan Simpson replacing Rizzo and Perth Glory adopting the same 3-5-2 system that Sydney FC was employing. Branko Culina also tinkered, getting wing backs Adam Casey and Robbie Middleby to swap flanks after they had operated on the left and right respectively throughout the opening period.

As was the case in the first half, Sydney FC made most of the early running in the second stanza. Corica shot straight at Tomich in the 52nd minute before, after excellent work by Patrick six minutes later, Zdrilic let fly from long range only to see his strike go just wide.

A Leo Bertos cross-cum-shot had the Perth Glory supporters in the 7907-strong crowd off their feet in the 63rd minute but the next two chances fell to Sydney FC. Unfortunately, neither Patrick’s soft header nor Zdrilic’s powerful shot troubled Tomich greatly.

With time running out, Zdrilic created not one but two opportunities for himself. First, Zdrilic received a pass from Mark Rudan with his back to goal before spinning on a sixpence to engineer an opening. However, his half volley from the edge of the area sailed over Perth Glory’s crossbar. Shortly afterwards, Zdrilic chested down the ball in a similar position but, once again, his half volley did not hit the target.

Jordan Simpson had a good chance to steal the match for Perth Glory six minutes from time but, unmarked 12 metres from goal, he made a mess of his volley.

Perth Glory 0
Sydney FC 0
Date: Sunday, September 9, 2007
Venue: Members Equity Stadium, Perth
Referee: Craig Zetter
Crowd: 8,014

Perth Glory: 50. Tommi TOMICH (gk), 6. Dino DJULBIC, 7. Anthony DANZE, 9. Mate DRAGICEVIC (17. James DOWNEY 74′), 12. Leo BERTOS, 13. Nikita RUKAVYTSYA, 14. Jamie COYNE (captain), 15. Mitchell PRENTICE (5. Jamie HARNWELL 64′), 16. Nick RIZZO (24. Jordan SIMPSON 46′), 19. Naum SEKULOVSKI, 25. Tyler SIMPSON.

Substitutes not used: 20. Danny MILOSEVIC (gk).

Yellow cards: Tyler Simpson 61′.

Sydney FC: 30. Matthew NASH (gk), 2. Iain FYFE, 4. Mark RUDAN, 6. Tony POPOVIC (captain), 7. Robbie MIDDLEBY (25. Matthew JURMAN 86′), 9. David ZDRILIC, 10. Steve CORICA, 12. PATRICK, 15. Terry McFLYNN (24. Robbie CATTANACH 74′), 18. Adam CASEY (19. Michael ENFIELD 66′), 23. Ufuk TALAY.

Substitutes not used: 40. Michael HERBET (gk).

Yellow cards: Patrick 29′, Iain Fyfe 45′, Mark Rudan 81′.