NSW Premier League Round 9 Review

Sydney United was the biggest winner on the weekend as the Reds made the most of Sydney Olympic and Sutherland Sharks’ respective draws to close the gap on the top two sides on the League ladder.

Sydney United was the biggest winner on the weekend as the Reds made the most of Sydney Olympic and Sutherland Sharks- respective draws to close the gap on the top two sides on the League ladder.

The Reds did not have it all their own way against Parramatta FC at home as the newly promoted side created a number of chances over the 90- minutes to keep the home side on their toes until the final whistle. Michael Cindric-s 51- minute header from Steve Hayes- exceptional delivery proved the difference as Parramatta FC very nearly snatched a draw in the final minute of injury time via Almir Dizdaric-s glancing header. The win sees Sydney United move to three-points of leader Sydney Olympic.

The Blues- 0-0 draw at Marconi Stadium was a fine result considering Sydney Olympic played close to 50- minutes with ten men following Chris Triantis- straight red card for a foul on Graziano Trimboli. A rather lacklustre first-half was followed by a more free flowing second period where both sides went close to snatching a winner late on. Giosue Sama saw his powerful attempt for the Stallions well saved by Paul Henderson before Hussein Akil was denied by Stallions goalkeeper James Chronopoulos.

At Ilinden Sports Centre, Sutherland Sharks produced a Houdini act to keep their unbeaten record for 2011 intact following their late equaliser against Rockdale City Suns. The Suns appeared in complete control and destined for a huge scalp following Peter Apolevski-s first-half penalty, though young substitute Huseyin Jasli latched onto Panni Nikas- 88- minute centre into the penalty-area to head home the equaliser.

The Suns were again left to rue a number of missed chances that would have given the side a buffer heading into the closing stages, though the Sharks certainly did prove their ability to fight until the final whistle even when the side may not be dominating on the pitch.

A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers left Jenson Park with three valuable points on Saturday evening following their 2-1 defeat of Bankstown City. The Tigers overcame a sluggish opening 15- minutes to take control across the middle of the park as Stephen Kayes sent Robbie Younis through on goal for the opener on 30- minutes. Younis, who will miss the Tigers next three matches with his wedding and honeymoon, made no mistake sending a powerful low-driven effort past Zlatko Joseski.

The Tigers- doubled their lead on the hour mark as Franco Parisi powerfully headed home Anthony Hartshorn-s cross from the right before Hussein Salameh re-opened proceedings 6- minutes from the end with a fine finish from close-range. Tigers goalkeeper Jose Bello-Amigo produced two saves late on to salvage the result for the Tigers who have moved up to fourth spot following the weekend-s results.

In last season-s grand final replay, Blacktown City FC got another one over Bonnyrigg White Eagles with a much deserved 2-0 win at Lily Homes Stadium on Sunday.

Played at a frantic pace, neither side was able to find the breakthrough in an entertaining opening half of football. Blacktown City found their opener in the 60- minute as Luke Roodenburg rose highest to head home a Travis Major free-kick. The result was wrapped up with the last kick of the match as the referee awarded the home side a penalty following a foul on Mitchell Long inside the penalty-area. Major, despite his young years, stepped up to the spot and kept his nerve to double his side-s lead and secure three-points that send Blacktown City FC into fifth-spot.

At Cromer Park, Manly United FC squandered a two goal lead against South Coast Wolves. Leading 2-0 with 10- minutes remaining courtesy of goals from Colin Iley and Justin Hayward on either side of half-time, the Wolves stunned the home side with two strikes late on. John Martinoski pulled a goal back in the 84- minute before Mark Picciolini scored an incredible equaliser to salvage South Coast Wolves a point from their trip to Manly.