No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled
No upcoming games
Future matches are yet to be scheduled

Please update your browser

Unfortunately you cannot view this website on the current version of your browser. Please either update your browser or use an alternative browser.

Jun 27, 2011   |  4:48PM AET

NSW Premier League Round 14 Review

NSW Premier League Round 14 Review

Sydney Olympic has opened a seven-point lead at the top of the NSW Premier League ladder with a dramatic 2-1 defeat of second-placed Sutherland Sharks in the Round 14 match of the round.

Sydney Olympic has opened a seven-point lead at the top of the NSW Premier League ladder with a dramatic 2-1 defeat of second-placed Sutherland Sharks in the Round 14 match of the round.

An extremely even encounter where both sides cancelled each other out in the opening 45- minutes, the second-half provided the strong turnout at Belmore Sports Ground with an entertaining affair.

Resilient defender Brett Studman got forward 15- minutes from the end to head Jerry Kalouris- cross into the back of the net for the opening goal. The delight of the Sydney Olympic supporters was short lived though, as former Blues player Niko Tsattalios equalised 4- minutes later. The left-sided winger collected a short pass before turning his marker and blasting the ball into the back of the net, much to the delight of the Sharks team who were without captain George Souris and coach Robbie Stanton for the match.

Sydney Olympic, who unveiled new signing Daniel Severino in the last 20- minutes, snatched a dramatic winner in injury-time courtesy of playmaker Robbie Mileski.

With the Sharks defenders failing to deal with a corner, Mileski volleyed a fine attempt into the back of the net to send the Blues supporters into raptures. The win sees the Blues firmly place one hand on the Premiership trophy with the Sharks and Sydney United sitting seven points behind the runaway leaders.

Sydney United overtook Sutherland Sharks on goal difference with an equally dramatic victory on Saturday evening. Trailing Rockdale City Suns 1-0 courtesy of a much deserved 55- minute goal to Sash Tirovski, the Reds scored two late goals to secure victory. Far from their best performance of the season, Elsid Barkhousir (71-) and Luka Glavas (81-) managed to turn the tie into their favour, handing new Suns coach Wally Savor a first up loss.

The result was salvaged by Reds goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic in injury-time as he produced an exceptional penalty-save to deny Jason Naidovski, and the Suns, a share of the points.

At Bonnyrigg Sports Centre, a ten-man White Eagles outfit fought back from a goal down to salvage a point against Bankstown City in an entertaining affair.

The Lions hit the front inside of the opening minute of play with a well-taken effort by Aman Hadid catching Bonnyrigg goalkeeper Andrew Bazi unawares for the lead. Bonnyrigg-s job at hand hit a wall early in the second-half as Jamie McMaster was shown his second yellow card for a poorly timed challenge.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Bonnyrigg found their equaliser courtesy of reliable striker Brad Boardman in the 71- minute. The striker finished with aplomb from close-range, much to the relief of the home supporters. Sean Mitchell for Bankstown, and Chris Tadrosse for the White Eagles, both squandered late chances to ensure the sides closed proceedings with a share of the spoils.

On Sunday afternoon at John Crehan Park, South Coast Wolves welcomed back Sasho Petrovski following his three-week absence due to suspension as the former A-League striker scored deep into injury-time to secure what seemed an unlikely 2-1 win against A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers.
Trailing 1-0 after Wandi Jajaw rounded Wolves- goalkeeper Brody Crane to slot home in the 11- minute, the Tigers seemed to be in complete control until Mark Picciolini headed home Tayfun Buyukkopru-s corner in the 76- minute.
Petrovski claimed the winner in the 91- minute via an indirect free-kick, six-yards from the Tigers goal line. Tigers- goalkeeper Jose Bello-Amigo was adjudged to pick up a back pass from Michael West, and Petrovski blasted his effort through the eleven-men that lined the Tigers goal line.

Parramatta FC collected their first win under new coach Manny Spanoudakis with the scalp of defending champions Blacktown City FC at Lily Homes Stadium. The Eagles collected the three points courtesy of Luke Grima-s early second-half strike.

Blacktown City-s afternoon was made even more difficult as Zac Cairncross was forced from the field with a second yellow card 15- minutes from the end.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Blacktown City continued to press for an equaliser. The Eagles, closing in on what would be their second win of the competition, managed to grind out the result with some exceptional performances by Tom Wilson and Angelo Petratos.

At Cromer Park, Manly United FC kept their finals hopes alive with an exceptional performance in their 3-1 defeat of Marconi Stallions. Despite falling behind in only the 6- minute courtesy of former player Giosue Sama, the Cromer Park side drew level prior to the break as Michael Daly bundled home Scott Balderson-s corner.

After the break, the home side lifted a gear and scored two more goals to subdue the Stallions. Justin Hayward gave Manly United the lead on 81- minutes as he used his pace to latch onto Robbie Cattanach-s through ball before slotting past James Chronopoulos. Scott Balderson confirmed the win with a deflected effort in the last minute of normal time, sending Manly United FC into seventh spot on the ladder.