NPL record Friday night victory over Mariners

Sydney FC NPL have got back on track with a four goal second half to overcome the Central Coast Mariners NPL side at Rockdale Illinden Sports Centre.

Despite going behind in the first half, Jimmy van Weeren rallied his troops at half time and came away as deserving winners against the fellow A-League Academy side.

Adam Pavlesic made a couple of key early saves but was unable to stop the penalty which was very harshly awarded against Zac De Jesus.

After the end to end first half, in the second, Sydney FC ramped up the intensity and were rewarded with an early goal from Marin France. The youngster adding to his late strike against St George last weekend to take his tally to two for the season.

Zac De Jesus got some important minutes under his belt

Tiago Quintal was involved in the second with some neat work on the right side and after his cross was delivered into a dangerous area, it was accidentally turned home by the visitors inside the six yard box.

After more great work in the half, Quintal was rewarded with his goal. Jacob Brazette turned his defender inside and out and he drew a great save from the Mariners keeper and Quintal was on hand to get the goal his second half deserved.

Once again at the back, Joey Calusic and Tyler Williams were great as they restricted the visitors to very few chances and ensured the Sky Blues’ dominance on the contest.

The fourth and final goal would come via substitute Ayouk Mow who drove to the by-line and delivered a dangerous ball into the box which was knocked into their own net by Paragali in stoppage time.

Jimmy van Weeren in the dugout – Image: Jaime Castaneda

After the match, Jimmy van Weeren was happy with the performance that his side produced less than 48 hours after their last match.

“Considering the number of boys that played Wednesday night and Friday I am delighted with how we finished the match. A lot of the boys were non-stop running and I think it is just reward to get those four goals.

“The boys really dug deep to get those three points and I’m sure they now can look forward to a week between matches,” he said.

“Overall, the result has been coming for a couple of weeks and I look forward to seeing this very young group continue to grow into this season.”