Men notch victory over Bulls in pre-season hit out

Sydney FC have faced Macarthur Bulls at Sky Park in another pre-season friendly as the preparations continue ahead of the Isuzu UTE A-League season.

Both sides named a strong outfit for this clash and despite the friendly name, it was a very competitive 90 minutes which saw Sydney FC run out 3-1 winners.

Anthony Caceres on the ball

From the off, Joe Lolley looked dangerous on the right hand side. Robbie Mak caused trouble on the left and linked up well with the hard working Pat Wood up front.

After a back and forth opening 20 minutes with no clear cut chances, the hosts would take the lead through Englishman, Joe Lolley. A raking long ball from Jack Rodwell in the heart of defence found the winger who brought the ball down excellently, drove forward and slotted it under the on-rushing keeper.

Joe Lolley’s finish

At the other end, Andrew Redmayne was called into action and made a brilliant reaction save from a scramble from a corner which kept the Bulls out. It would prove a vital save with Sydney FC soon doubling their lead.

Robbie Mak was the first to latch onto a poor touch from the Bulls defence and immediately he headed toward goal. With the angle tight and just the keeper between him and the net, he slotted the ball underneath the Macarthur number one and into the far corner.

At half time, Max Burgess, Jaiden Kucharski and Aaron Gurd all entered the pitch for Corey Hollman, Robert Mak and Jack Rodwell. Both teams took a little to settle into the second 45 with the start of the half mirroring the opening 45 with few chances.

Macarthur would have a half chance from the edge of the box which flashed over the top of the crossbar.

Anthony Caceres was next to have an effort at goal after he found space on the edge of the box, controlled the re-worked corner ball and struck a fierce volley that went inches wide of the upright.

Robert Mak on the ball

Joe Lolley would make way for Nathan Amanatidis on the right and the game began to swing back and forth for possession. Soon it was Andrew Redmayne called into action, forced to make a strong save low to his right from a free-kick that was awarded for handball.

With the game moving into the later stages of the contest, Zac De Jesus, Mitch Glasson and Matty Scarcella came on for Kealey Adamson, Pat Wood and Luke Brattan. It didn’t take the substitutes long to get involved and were pivotal for the third goal of the afternoon.

On a quick breakaway, Max Burgess combined well with Zac De Jesus and worked their way up the right side of the pitch. The 17-year-old right back found space near the edge of the box and whipped in a delightful cross onto the head of Mitch Glasson who nodded it into the corner and gave his side a three goal lead.

Redmayne made some key saves during the 90 minutes

Late on, Redmayne was called into action from another dead ball attempt but was finally beaten moments later, in the last minute of the match. Jake Hollman found space in the middle of the park and a long ball from out wide found his forward run in behind Aaron Gurd and he lobbed the ball over a stranded Redmayne to give the visitors a consolation goal.

It would finish 3-1 as Sydney FC now look forward to their Australia Cup clash with APIA Leichhardt on Wednesday 30th August.

Luke Brattan and Joe Lolley congratulate Robert Mak after his finish
Corey Hollman rises highest in the box

Sydney FC (Lolley 24′, Mak 40′, Glasson 80′) 3 – 1 (Hollman 88′) Macarthur FC