Desperate Sydney repelled by Reds

Sydney FC’s hopes of qualifying for the finals have been dealt what could be a fatal blow, with John Kosmina’s men falling to a two goal defeat in Saturday night’s crucial Hyundai A-League clash at Adelaide Oval.

Sydney FC-s hopes of qualifying for the finals have been dealt what could be a fatal blow, with John Kosmina-s men falling to a two goal defeat in Saturday night-s crucial Hyundai A-League clash at Adelaide Oval.

A goal late in each half was enough to secure the points for Adelaide United, with the 2-nil defeat dropping the Sky Blues even further off the finals pace and extending their losing streak to four straight games.

“I thought we basically got shown up for experience. Adelaide are a good side they are very confident right across the park,” said Sydney coach, Kosmina after the match. “They had too much experience for us and we got punished for it.”

In a match where it was all on the line for Sydney the danger signs were evident early when keeper, Ivan Necevski was called on to make a sharp stop when the Reds were given too much space to attack inside the first 10 minutes of the match.

Despite the early scare, the Sky Blues enjoyed the lion-s share of possession, but Adelaide-s ability to counter kept the visitors on their toes and in the 15th minute Iain Fyfe made a crucial intercept on a dangerous Kristian Sarkies- cross to deny Christiano a gold-plated opportunity to open the scoring.

United wasn-t the only side making inroads and in the 26th minute Sydney captain, Steve Corica had his side-s first real opportunity of the game but was repelled by Eugene Galekovic, with the Red-s custodian diving forward to cover a low drive after the ball was cut back inside by Shannon Cole.

Soon after Necevski saved what for a moment looked like a certain goal, reacting quickly to his left to deny Robert Cornthwaite-s header following a curling Scott Jamieson corner.

With time ticking away in the first half Alex Brosque began to make his impact felt down the left. The attack-minded midfielder first drew a save from Galekovic in the 39th, then five minutes later timed his run and almost had the ball fall at his feet in front of goal after a long throw from Cole.

The pulsating opening period seemed destined to finish in a stalemate but in the first minute of injury time a defensive lapse allowed United an opportunity it wasn-t going to miss.

Robbie Middleby dispossessed Travis Dodd but the determined Red-s skipper defied the fullback-s attempts to shepherd the ball out of play, winning it back inside the by-line and passing inside to Cassio who had enough time and space to pick his spot and fire home the first goal of the game.

Trailing on the scoreboard, and desperately needing the win, Sydney launched an all-out assault after the restart but struggled to break down the Red wall around Adelaide-s goal.

The home side seemed to have little trouble containing the persistent Sydney attack and continued to create its own chances on the counter. Cassio almost found himself one on one with Necevski in the 56th minute, and soon after Daniel Mullen kept the keeper honest with successive drives towards the near post.

Brosque and Mark Bridge both had good chances around the 70 minute mark, but their efforts sailed wide on either side of the woodwork. Ten minutes later Adelaide delivered the final dagger when Alemao received the ball behind the visitor-s defence and calmly slotted his side-s second to kill off any thoughts of a Sydney comeback, and probably its title campaign.

Insult was added to injury when young fullback, Matthew Jurman was given his marching orders in time-added-on after receiving his second yellow card, but the damage was already done and Adelaide took the points with a well-earned 2-nil win.

Sydney will now return home to host the 5th placed Wellington Phoenix next Sunday and will be desperate for victory to breathe new life into its slim hopes of sneaking into the final four.

Match Detail

Adelaide United 2 (Cassio 45-+1, Alemao 83-)
Sydney FC 0

Adelaide United: 20. Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 2. Robert CORNTHWAITE, 6. CASSIO, 8. Kristian SARKIES, 10. CHRISTIANO (25. Robert YOUNIS 60-), 13. Travis DODD (c), 14. Scott JAMIESON, 16. Daniel MULLEN, 18. Fabian BARBIERO (3. ALEMAO 73-), 19. Sasa OGNENOVSKI, 24. Paul REID.

Substitutes not used: 60. Matthew NASH (gk), 21. Jason SPAGNUOLO.

Yellow Cards: Fabian Barbiero 34-.
Red Cards: nil.
Goals: Cassio 45-+1, Alemao 83-.

Sydney FC: 20. Ivan NECEVSKI (gk), 2. Iain FYFE, 7. Robbie MIDDLEBY, 8. Stuart MUSIALIK (15. Terry McFLYNN 87-), 10. Steve CORICA (c) (35. Kofi DANNING 71-), 12. Shannon COLE (34. Rhyan GRANT 71-), 14. Alex BROSQUE, 19. Mark BRIDGE, 27. Matthew JURMAN, 29. Beau BUSCH, 32. Brendan GAN.

Substitutes not used: 1. Clint BOLTON (gk).

Yellow Cards: Matthew Jurman 32-,90-+2.
Red Cards: Matthew Jurman 90’+2.
Goals: nil.

Referee: Chris Beath.
Crowd: 23,002 at Adelaide Oval.