Controversial Penalty Earns Jets A Draw
Sydney FC 1 (Boogaard OG 76’) drew with Newcastle Jets 1 (O’Donovan 59’ pen)
A dubious penalty decision will be the main talking point after Sydney FC played out a 1-1 draw with Newcastle Jets.
Moments That Mattered:
- BARBAROUSES SHOT – 14‘ – King curls a ball towards Kosta who volleys at goal, but Italiano is equal to it.
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 17′ – Baumjohann finds Barbarouses at the far post, but the keeper gets a hand to his volley to save.
- BOBÔ CHANCE – 29’ – Baumjohann with a curling free kick into the area finds Bobo who powers a header just over the bar.
- O’DONOVAN GOAL – 59’ – Referee Alex King awards a penalty after a Jets player heads the ball into Bobô’s hand during a challenge for a header at a corner. VAR does the rest and O’Donovan scores from the spot.
- BUHAGIAR HITS BAR – 71′ – Retre’s cross finds Buhagiar who rattles the crossbar with a head.
- BOOGAARD OWN GOAL – 76’ – Caceres plays a fantastic ball to Buhagiar who crosses brilliantly and O’Toole clears it against Boogaard and the ball rebounds into the back of the net.
Sydney FC have been denied by a controversial penalty decision and a resolute Newcastle Jets defence.
The Sky Blues dominated large parts of the game and tested the Jets keeper, however they couldn’t find a way through.
Referee Alex King awarded the Jets a penalty following a VAR review for a handball which hit the hand of Bobô.
The striker was challenging for a defensive header which was won by the Jets attacker who headed it into the hand of the Brazilian.
Despite the Sky Blues forward being off the ground and his back to Jets player with little idea of where his opponent was heading the ball, the referee gave the penalty.
O’Donovan stepped up and scored to give the Jets the lead.
The Sky Blues pressed for an equalizer and were rewarded when Caceres’ threaded pass found Buhagiar. His cross created confusion in the Jets defence leading to O’Toole firing the ball against Boogaard and the ricochet found the net.
Both sides pressed for a winner but it wasn’t to come and the points had to be shared.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica:
“VAR got it wrong and if anything it should of been a foul for us because Bobô was sandwiched between two players,” he said.
“Definitely frustrating the result, but the performance as well wasn’t good enough. We have five more games to go and we need to improve. We have to do a lot better than what we did tonight. We looked heavy and we need to be better.
“[Adam] Le Fondre trained today and will be involved next week. He’s a fit guy and he should be involved.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (18. Luke IVANOVIC 81’), 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (21. Harry Van Der SAAG 88’), 9. BOBÔ (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 67’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT.
Subs: 30. Adam PAVLESIC, 3. Ben WARLAND, 32. Patrick YAZBEK, 33. Patrick WOOD.
Yellow Cards: Baumjohann 77’.
Red Cards: None.
Newcastle Jets FC: 1.Lewis ITALIANO (gk), 3.Jason HOFFMAN (17.Valentino YUEL 83’), 4.Nigel BOOGAARD, 7 Jordan O’DOHERTY (8. Liridon KRASNIQI 84’), 9.Roy O’DONOVAN, 16. Matt MILLAR, 21.Luka PRŠO (14.Ali ABBAS 73’), 22. Lachlan JACKSON, 24.Connor O’TOOLE, 32.Angus THURGATE, 44.Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY (c)
Subs: 23.Jack DUNCAN (gk), 19. Kosta PETRATOS, 27. Lucas MAURAGIS, 33. Apostolos STAMATELOPOULOS.
Yellow Cards: O’Doherty 46’, Jackson 70’.
Red Cards: None.
Venue: McDonald Jones Stadium
Referee: Alex King