Young Sky Blues Downed By United


Sydney FC went down 3-1 to Sydney United 58 FC at Lambert Park, Leichhardt on Saturday afternoon. 

Sydney FC went down 3-1 to Sydney United 58 FC at Lambert Park, Leichhardt on Saturday afternoon. 

United’s Peter Simonoski hit the back of the net on each side of the half-time break to take his tally to five goals in two games and lift United 58 to consecutive wins.

A lighting start from Sydney FC gave them the lead after only eight minutes but they were unable to maintain the intensity as the Sydney United took control of the contest.

A sensational solo strike from Uraguayan import Sebastian Gallegos gave them a 2-1 lead at the break before Simonoski wrapped up the win only seven minutes after the restart.

Blistering temperatures made for a sluggish start from both teams but it didn’t take long for the Young Sky Blues to find their grove and go on the ascendency.

A misread by United 58 goalkeeper Thomas Manos eight minutes in opened the door for Swibel to outrun the custodian after a lofted ball into the box before sliding the ball into an empty net.

The goal proved to be a wake up call for United 58 who bounced into action straight away and found their reply only six minutes later.

A looping corner kick into the box was tapped in at the far post by Simonoski on his second effort after an initial effort was denied by Howard-Belle.

It would be the start of what would turn into a busy day at the office for the Sydney FC goalkeeper with wave after wave of United 58 attacks forcing Heward-Belle into action.

Six minutes from the interval the visitors took the lead thanks to a moment of magic from Gallegos.

The Uruguayan received the ball 40 yards from goal and slalomed his way through two Sydney defenders before firing a rasping shot from just inside the penalty area into the back of the net.

The goal was the culmination of United 58’s dominance at the back end of the opening stanza and set them into the break on top on the scoreboard but also in control of the game.

Marco Tilio challenged for the ball

It was a position which carried on after the interval as the Miro Vlastelica coached Reds raced out of the blocks and stretched their lead within eight minutes.

Jordan Roberts flashed a shot across the face of goal but Simonoski managed to slip away from his marker to redirect the ball into the back of the net.

At 3-1 Sydney United were well and truly dictating the game with the Sky Blues’ efforts to fight their way back proving easier said than done.

70 minutes in two clutch saves from Heward-Belle kept Sydney’s slim hopes alive as he punched away a dangerous corner before flicking a Simonoski effort over the bar with an acrobatic effort.

Gallegos thought he had won a penalty 72 minutes in after he went down in the box but his appeals proved fruitless.

Marco TIlio’s play on the left side of Sydney’s attack was creating headaches for United defence with the pacy and skilful midfielder weaving in and out of defenders but unable to deliver a cutting final pass.

A brilliant block from Fragogiannis denied a well hit shot from Hamish Lamberton as Sydney pushed late to snatch a draw.

Manos pulled off a courageous head first dive to punch away the ball off the feet of Lamberton in the 80th minute to deny a brilliant chance for Sydney FC.

An energetic final few minutes from the Young Sky Blues created a few half chances but they were unable to claw back the deficit as the Visitors clung on for a vital three points.

United 58 boss Vlastelica was very pleased with his side’s showing and singled out Simonoski’s showing in his second week back in the first team.

“It was a slow start but they fought their way back into the game and I think minus those opening few minutes we controlled the match.

“It was a good performance for the team and it’s always nice to claim back to back wins.

“Peter Simonoski has made a great return to the team with five goals in two weeks. He is still finding his feet but his contributions have been something we have been very happy with.”

Sydney FC coach Jim van Weeren said his side paid the price for lapses in concentration.

“We took the game to United 58 from the opening whistle and I was really pleased to see that from the players,” he said.

“Unfortunately we weren’t able to make the most of our early lead.

“We just a lacked a bit of discipline and Sydney United took full advantage. Overall it wasn’t the best performance from us but there was plenty of positives we can build from.

Match Stats

Sydney FC 1 (Swibel 9’)

Sydney United 58 3 (Simonoski 17’ 52’, Gallegos 39’)

Saturday, April 27 2019

At Lambert Park, Leichhardt

Referee: Craig Fisher

Sydney FC: 1. Thomas Howard-Belle, 3. Ben van Meurs, 4. Liam McGing, 5. Patrick Scibilio, 6. Harry van der Saag, 7. Jerry Skotadis, 10. Marco Tilio, 12. Giuseppe, Tilio (23. Harry McCarthy 74’), 13. Jordan Swibel (9. Hamish Lamberton 15’), 14. Thomas Fay (16. Poalo Bonanni 74′ ), 15. Ryan Teague

Substitutes not used: 30. Adam Pavlesic, 34. Aaron Milnaric

Yellow Cards:

Red Cards:

Sydney United 58 FC: 21. Thomas Manos. 3. Jordan Roberts (9. Patrick Antelmi), 5. Anthony Tomelic, 7. Peter Simonoski, 8. Matthew Sim, 10. Sebastian Gallegos (14. Nicholas Stavroulakis 86’), 11. Yianni Perkatis, 15. Tariq Maia, 17. Matthew Bilic, 18. Glenn Trifiro, 22. Yianni Fragogiannis

Substitutes not used: 1. Daniel Sadaka, 13. Sam Perre,

Yellow Cards:

Red Cards:

Player Ratings:

3- Simonoski (SU58)

2- Gallegos (SU58)

1- Heward-Belle (SFC)


Thin Banner for Kawasaki ACL