Young Sky Blues Downed By Late Deflection


A young Sydney FC side put up a valiant display to go down against an experienced St George Saints team 2-1 in the final few minutes at Kogarah’s WIN Jubliee Oval.

A young Sydney FC side put up a valiant display to go down against an experienced St George Saints team 2-1 in the final few minutes at Kogarah-s WIN Jubliee Oval.

A deflected 89th minute shot which looped over stranded keeper Ivan Necevski sealed the win for the recently qualified NSWPL2 Grand Finalists, after Sydney-s young guns had fought back from an early penalty strike.

19 year old Jacob Tratt-s first goal for Sydney FC looked set to give the Sky Blues a well-earned draw as Head Coach Frank Farina introduced a number of National Youth League players into the first team fold.

Youngsters Anthony Tomelic, Darcy McCormack and trialist Manuel Marschel made their debuts while teenagers Hagi Gligor, Daniel Petkovski and Josh MacDonald were also given further opportunities to impress.

The opening quarter of an hour saw little in the way of chances until the deadlock was broken in the 15th minute. A cross from the St George left, hit the arm of Daniel Petkovski and the referee gave a penalty. Juan Carlos Chevaz stepped up to slot the ball right footed into the right corner of Necevski-s goal.

St George looked intent on increasing their advantage against the young Sydney side and almost did when Chevaz was played into the box and struck the bottom of Necevski-s left hand post.

Sydney were close to levelling proceedings just before the 40th minute mark when young left back Darcy McCormack-s cross caught the St George keeper off guard and grazed the top of the bar.

Sydney FC introduced more of their National Youth League squad for the second half with Lukas Stergiou and Luke Clifford coming on for McCormack and Gligor.

A fine save from Necevski kept the gap to just one goal within 15 minutes of the restart. Good work down St George left wing allowed substitute Sadler to pull the ball back to Verrender who shot across goal, only for the keeper to save diving one handed to his left.

Great work inside the box almost produced the equaliser through young striker Mitch Mallia. The 21 year old beat two defenders on the left hand side of the box and rocketed a shot just over the bar.

Sydney FC were beginning to dominate and their best chance came on 73 minutes. The visitors won a free kick on the edge of the box and Dutch centre half Pascal Bosschaart sent a curling left footed shot over the wall and off the keeper-s left hand post. The rebound was knocked to safety.

Sydney were not to be denied however and were level two minutes later. A fine left footed cross from Mitch Mallia on the right edge of the box found 19 year old Jacob Tratt unmarked and the full back headed home.

It was to no avail however and as Sydney pressed forward for the winner, Sam Messam broke free for the home side and struck the killer blow via a cruel deflection.

Sydney FC 1 (Tratt -75) defeated by St. George Saints 2 (Chevaz -15; Messam -89)

1. Ivan Necevski (gk), 4. Pascal Bosschaart, 6. Manuel Marschel, 14. Mitchell Mallia, 15. Terry McFlynn, 24. Hagi Gligor (27. Lukas Stergiou -45), 25. Daniel Petkovski, 18. Josh MacDonald, 35. Anthony Tomelic, 31. Darcy McCormack, (34. Luke Clifford -45), 29. Jacob Tratt.

Subs: 20. Vedran Janjetovic, 28. Jason Perez, 33. Dylan Caton, 36. Keenan Gibson, 37. Lachlan Rovers.