Sydney FC 0 def. by Melbourne City 2 (Noone 57’, MacLaren 68’)
Two uncharacteristic errors cost Sydney FC as they lost 2-0 to a Melbourne City side buoyed by playing their first game of football in more than four months at ANZ Stadium.
Moments That Mattered:
1. REDMAYNE SAVE – 13’ – Great stop from Redmayne getting down low at his near post to palm away a Maclaren effort after the forward got in behind.
2. REDMAYNE SAVE – 16’ – Another great stop from Redmayne as he tips over a dipping shot from outside the area.
3. MCGOWAN CHANCE – 20’ – Baumjohann curls a free kick to the far post, finding McGowan who volleys at goal, but it’s well held by Glover.
4. REFLEX SAVE REDMAYNE – 25’ – A snapshot from Berenguer takes a deflection on the way through and Redmayne does well to palm it out.
5. NOONE GOAL – 57’ – A long ball through creates confusion between Retre and Redmayne and Noone latches onto the loose ball to slide it home.
6. BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 59’ – Le Fondre crosses the ball to the far post to Barbarouses who tries to shoot but gets the ball caught under his feet before it is cleared in a scramble.
7. MACLAREN GOAL – 68’ – McGowan mis-judges a ball back to him on the bounce and Maclaren races onto it to poke the ball beyond Redmayne.
Sydney FC have lost 2-0 to Melbourne City following two unusual errors at the back which allowed City to score twice in the second half.
A long ball forward slipped between Retre at right back and keeper Redmayne on the edge of the box and allowed Noone to tap home 13 minutes after the interval.
Ten minutes later McGowan mis-judged a bouncing pass which allowed MacLaren to nip in front of him and poke the ball past Redmayne inside the box.
The Sky Blues have a chance to make up when they take on Adelaide United on Thursday night at ANZ Stadium.
What they said: Steve Corica
“I think the two goals were our fault. It wasn’t that they did something special, the goals were from our mistakes.
“I think that’s been the case in the last couple of games, in that we’ve switched off in vital moments and it’s cost us.
“It’s a good wake up call for our boys. It happens to the best of teams, I think it happened to Liverpool after they won the Premiership.
“It’s disappointing that we conceded two sloppy goals.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (18. Luke IVANOVIC 66’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE (21. Harry Van Der SAAG 85’), 9. Adam Le FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 66’), 16. Joel KING (7. Michael ZULLO 80’), 17. Anthony CACERES, 26. Luke BRATTAN (19. Chris ZUVELA 80’).
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN.
Yellow Cards: Retre 40’, Brattan 59.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne City: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 3.Scott JAMIESON, 4. Harrison DELBRIDGE, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 9.Jamie MACLAREN (30.Moudi NAJJAR 74’), 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE (21.Ramy NAJJARINE 88’), 19.Lachlan WALES (34.Connor METCALFE 69’), 20.Adrian LUNA, (13.Nathaniel ATKINSON 69’), 22.Curtis GOOD, 40.Richard WINDBICHLER,
Subs: 46.Joe GAUCI (GK), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI.
Yellow Cards: Windbichler 11’,
Red Cards: None.
Ground: ANZ Stadium