Sydney FC 1 (Ninkovic 63’) def. Melbourne Victory 2 (Toivonen 20’, Troisi 58’)
Sydney FC have gone down 2-1 away to Melbourne Victory despite a largely dominant second half.
Moments That Mattered:
- Toivonen Goal – 20’ – The Swede’s free-kick hits the top left-hand post before finding the net.
- Retre Chance – 54’ – A stinging, well struck shot just outside the box is saved by Thomas.
- Troisi Goal – 58’ – A late deflection from a Troisi shot sends the ball past Redmayne.
- Ivanovic Chance – 62’ – The youngster almost answers immediately with his header just going over the bar.
- Ninkovic Goal 63’ – Ninkovic finishes up his own effort from an acute angle to get the Sky Blues back in the contest.
- Le Fondre Chance – 79’ – Desperately unlucky as Alfie hits the bar from a looping header following Zullo’s cross.
- Ivanovic Chance – 84’ – A strongly hit half volley hits the base of the right-hand post and goes out.
In a tight and tense big blue, it was the home side that opened the scoring through a well-placed free-kick from Toivonen midway through the first half.
The Sky Blues started the second stanza strong but Melbourne doubled their lead against the run of play around the hour mark via Troisi.
However, the two-goal advantage lasted all of five minutes as Ninkovic grabbed his first of the season, deftly finishing from an acute angle to the joy of the travelling supporters.
Despite a dominant second half, where Corica’s men produced several goal-scoring chances, the result wasn’t to be.
Sydney FC face Melbourne City at Jubilee Stadium next Sunday afternoon.
What They Said: Steve Corica:
“We deserved to win, not draw.
“In the first half we were solid but a good free kick gave them the lead.
“In the second half we dominated and finished the stronger.
“That was our third game in a week but we’ve a few days to recover now ahead of next Sunday.
“We will be getting some players back in the next week but those who played tonight finished the match very well.
“That’s a huge credit to them and our brilliant fitness team.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 2. Aaron CALVER, 3. Benjamin WARLAND, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Joshua BRILLANTE, 7. Michael ZULLO, 8. Paulo RETRE (21. Charles LOKOLI-NGOY 79’), 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Daniel DE SILVA (31. Luke IVANOVIC 53’), 13. Brandon O’NEILL.
Subs Not Used: 20. Aleksander CISAK (GK), 24. Cameron DEVILN, 25. Joel KING.
Yellow Cards: 2. Aaron CALVER 29’, 9. Adam LE FONDRE 46’, 7. Michael ZULLO 70’
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne Victory: 20. Lawrence THOMAS (GK), 2. Storm ROUX (25. Anthony LESIOTIS 88’), 3. Corey BROWN, 6. Leigh BROXHAM, 8. Terry ANTONIS, 9. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 10. James TROISI, 11. Ola TOIVONEN (7. Kenjok ATHIU 76’), 14. Thomas DENG, 15. Raul BAENA (24. Elvis KAMSOBA 59’), 21. Carl VALERI.
Subs not used: 1. Matthew ACTION (GK), 16. Joshua HOPE, 24. Elvis KAMSOBA.
Yellow Cards: 10. James TROISI 89’
Red Cards: None.
Ground: AAMI Park
Referee: Shaun Evans