Sydney FC 1 (Barbarouses 54’) def Perth Glory 0
Sydney FC have become the first club to reach 200 A-League wins to move into fourth place on the ladder thanks to a Kosta Barbarouses goal, in a game they dominated against Perth.
The game was abandoned in the final few seconds due to lightning but the result still stands with the match having passed the 45th minute mark.
Moments that Mattered:
- BARBAROUSES CHANCE – 11’ – Grant feeds Barbarouses who does brilliantly to beat two men and shoot but it’s just wide of the far post.
- REDDY DENIES BOBÔ – 31’ – Ninkovic’s cross into the six yard box is perfect for Bobô but a reflex save from Reddy sends the ball onto the bar and the post and away to safety.
- NINKOVIC DENIED BY REDDY – 33’ – King’s cross creates havoc in the Glory box and Barbarouses nudges the ball to Ninkovic but his low shot is again saved by Reddy and his outstretched leg.
- BOBÔ’S HEADER SAVED BRILLIANTLY – 44’ – King’s left wing cross is headed down into the bottom corner by Bobô but Reddy somehow changes direction to get a palm to the ball and keep it out.
- BRATTAN FREE KICK SAVED – 50’ – Brattan’s free kick from the edge of the box is saved low down by Reddy who gets in the way of Barbarouses follow-up shot as well.
- BARBAROUSES GOAL – 54’ – Baumjohann feeds Barbarouses in the inside right channel and the striker drills a ball between Reddy’s legs.
- BOBÔ HEADER SAVED – 57’ – King swings one in from the left and Bobô’s downward header is brilliantly tipped over by Reddy.
- CACERES SHOT SAVED – 84’ – Neat work from Baumjohann and Grant to find Caceres who moves the ball onto his left but his close range shot is punched away by Reddy.
- LIGHTNING CALLS GAME TO BE ABANDONED – 90’ – A lightning bolt within 5 kms of the stadium forces the referee to take the players off the pitch and the game is abandoned with the 1-0 scoreline to stand.
Sydney FC are gaining momentum heading into the second half of the season with a dominant display against Perth Glory at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.
The Sky Blues defeated the Glory 1-0 thanks to Kosta Barbarouses’ fifth goal of the season, however the scoreline could well have been a lot more.
Steve Corica’s side were denied on numerous occasions by goalkeeper Liam Reddy as well as the post and cross bar, as they dominated possession and shots.
The game was abandoned in the final seconds of the game due to a lightning strike close to the ground but the result stood with the game beyond the halfway stage.
What They Said: Steve Corica: “We were in control of that game, we defended really well and played well. They were on top for the first 15 and after that we were very good.
“I think we’re cutting out the silly mistakes now. We kept a clean sheet and the goals are starting to come. We’ve got another big game in a couple of days time now at Leichhardt.
“You can see the havoc Bobô causes, and Kosta making runs off him. The team is playing well at the moment.
“I’m pleased with the performance overall. We have two more home games now (at Leichhardt Oval) against tough opposition but it’s what we look forward to.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (21. Harry VAN DER SAAG 85’), 6. Ryan McGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. BOBÔ (18. Luke IVANOVIC 72’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (17. Anthony CACERES 72’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN.
Subs: 20. Thomas HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 3. Benjamin WARLAND, 27. Jordi SWIBEL, 33. Patrick WOOD.
Yellow Cards: McGowan 15’, Retre 36’, Barbarouses 39’, Wilkinson 85’.
Red Cards: None
Perth Glory: 33. Liam REDDY (gk), 2. Jason GERIA (22. Josh RAWLINS 80’), 4. Sebastian LANGKAMP (13. Luke BODNAR 52’), 6. Osama MALIK, 8. Kosuke OTA, 9. Bruno FORNAROLI, 10.Andy KEOGH, 19. Callum TIMMINS (88. Neil KILKENNY 80’), 20. Carlo ARMIENTO, 29. Darryl LACHMAN, 38.Ciaran BRAMWELL (23. Dane INGHAM 57’).
Subs: 1.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 15. Brandon WILSON.
Yellow Cards: Ota 19’, Timmins 34’, Armiento 67’,
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.
Referee: Adam Kersey.