Sydney FC 2 (Barbarouses 16’, Van der Saag 95’) def. Brisbane Roar 0
Sydney FC have recorded their fifth consecutive win to complete their regular season, defeating Brisbane Roar 2-0 thanks to goals from Kosta Barbarouses and Harry Van der Saag, in a game where goalkeeper Tom Heward-Belle produced numerous first class saves.
Moments That Mattered:
- HEWARD-BELLE SAVE – 8’ – Heward-Belle is called into action to parry a stinging shot from Parsons.
- BOBÔ HEADER OFF THE BAR – 9’ – A right wing corner is headed off the bar by Bobô and gathered by Young.
- BARBAROUSES GOAL – 16’ – Retre frees Barbarouses who produces a deadly finish across Young and into the far corner from a tight angle.
- GREAT SAVE HEWARD–BELLE – 34’ – Wenzel-Halls cuts inside on his right and fires a shot which Heward-Belle dives full length to push away.
- DANZAKI CHANCE – 66’ – Danzaki bursts into the penalty box but smashes it wide from close range.
- GREAT SAVE HEWARD-BELLE – 69’ – Wenzel-Halls shoots from distance and the shot is deflected but Heward-Belle produces a fantastic flying save to tip it over.
- INCREDIBLE SAVE HEWARD–BELLE – 76’ – Champness shoots on the turn and Heward-Belle is down brilliantly to his right to tip the ball away.
- BARBAROUSES SHOT SAVED – 90’ – Barbarouses is played into the channel and shoots but Young saves and Wood is unable to convert the rebound.
- VAN DER SAAG GOAL – 95’ – Baumjohann crosses the ball to Van der Saag at the back post and the full back lashes it home off the post.
Sydney FC have goalkeeper Tom Heward-Belle and goalscorers Kosta Barbarouses and Harry Van der Saag to thank for a fifth consecutive A-League win heading into Finals.
Making his first start of the season, Heward-Belle was immense between the sticks keeping out Brisbane Roar with many superb saves, as Sydney FC’s defence recorded a fourth clean sheet in five games.
At the other end a classy finish from Kosta Barbarouses gave the Sky Blues a first half lead before Harry Van der Saag put the result beyond doubt in the fifth minute of injury time.
Sydney FC now have a two week break before they head into an A-League home semi-final at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday 19th June, against a still to be determined opponent.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica: “It wasn’t our best performance today by any means. We played well in patches and the boys that came in for our Socceroos players did well.
“Our defensive effort was very good and another clean sheet was pleasing too.
“I was very impressed with Tom Heward-Belle. He made a couple of very good saves and his kicking game was good. I was also pleased with Retre at right back.”
Sydney FC: 20. Tom HEWARD-BELLE (GK), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3. Ben WARLAND, 4. Alex WILKINSON, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. BOBÔ (5. Alex BAUMJOHANN 65’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (33. Pat WOOD 80’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 26. Luke BRATTAN (21. Harry VAN DER SAAG 65’), 99. Adam LE FONDRE (2. Patrick FLOTTMANN 90’).
Subs: 30. Adam PAVLESIC, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 25. Callum TALBOT.
Yellow Cards: Wood 82’,
Red Cards: None.
Brisbane Roar: 21.Jamie YOUNG (gk), 2.Scott NEVILLE (11.Joe CHAMPNESS 73’), 3.Corey BROWN (22.Antonee BURKE-GILROY 58’), 10.Riku DANZAKI (36.Eli ADAMS 83’), 15.Jesse DALEY, 16.Joshua BRINDELL-SOUTH, 23.Dylan WENZEL-HALLS (9.Masato KUDO 83’), 26.Jay O’SHEA, 27.Kai TREWIN, 29.Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS, 34.Alex PARSONS (37.Cyrus DEHMIE 83’).
Subs: 1.Macklin FREKE (gk), 35.Hassan RAMAZANI.
Yellow Cards: Daley 93’.
Red Cards: None
Venue: Moreton Daily Stadium
Referee: Alireza Faghani