Sydney FC Edged Out In Derby

Western Sydney Wanderers came out on top winning 1-0 in the Sydney Derby on Saturday night at the Allianz Stadium in front of a near 30,000 crowd.

Western Sydney Wanderers 1 (Sapsford 72’) def. Sydney FC 0

Moments That Mattered

6’ – ANTONSSON DISALLOWED GOAL – Antonsson heads in from close range, but is shown by VAR to be offside.

17’ – KUCHARSKI STRIKES WIDE – A great hit from Kucharski outside the area whistles inches past the Wanderers’ post.

28’ – REDMAYNE DENIES WANDERERS – Redmayne denies Brillante’s header, a rebound from Guedes’ initial effort onto the crossbar.

45’ – LOLLEY DENIED – Lolley goes down the outside of his man and hits a right-footed strike, which Thomas gets a hand to.

55’ – KUCHARSKI CHANCE – Thomas’ clearance goes straight to Kucharski, but the ‘keeper gets back to keep out his shot.

72’ – SAPSFORD GOAL – Sydney get caught cold at the back, and Sapsford brings it inside before finding the corner.

Lolley drives past Milanovic

What They Said: Ufuk Talay: “I thought we started on the back foot, and we don’t want to lose games like the Sydney Derby.

“We grew into the game and we were a lot better in the second half and we created opportunities, but maybe that last pass and execution towards goal let us down – and the mistake at the back led to their goal.

“Two weeks ago we scored five goals from the chances we created, and today we scored none – we just need that bit of consistency in our composure.”

Match Report: Sydney FC lost out in the Sydney Derby on Saturday night, as Western Sydney Wanderers stole a 1-0 win at the Allianz Stadium.

Zachary Sapsford struck the critical blow in the second half for the away side, a result which keeps the Sky Blues in 10th position on the A-League ladder after Saturday’s fixtures.

Chances came sporadically throughout the half, though when they arrived, they were mighty close to carving out an opener.

A crowd of nearly 30,000 watched on.

And it was a let-off but a correct call inside the first six minutes, as the visitors thought they had the lead through Marcus Antonsson’s header.

Luckily for Sydney, Antonsson was judged by VAR to have strayed inches offside, keeping the score goalless.

Both sides forayed forward into attack and it was Jaiden Kucharski who had the hosts’ first shot in anger, arrowing just wide from 25 yards in front of The Cove he once stood in for these derbies.

Andrew Redmayne was called into important action just before the half-hour mark, with a double chance for Wanderers going begging – first Marcelo Guedes’ looping header ricocheted back off the crossbar, before the Socceroos stopper palmed away Josh Brillante’s rebound.

As the half came to a close, Lawrence Thomas in the opposition goal was forced into his maiden save, clawing away Joe Lolley’s right-footed shot from an acute angle.

The second half saw Sydney regain more control of the contest and Rhyan Grant enter the fray, and the home side should surely have been in front 10 minutes after the break when Kucharski intercepted Thomas’ attempted clearance, taking an early shot which the ‘keeper recovered to block on the line.

Redmayne was again required midway through the half when he dived down to his left to keep out Nicolas Milanovic’s low drive, in between changes by Ufuk Talay to bring on Pat Wood, Corey Hollman and Jordan Courtney-Perkins.

But with 18 minutes remaining, the deadlock was broken. The Sky Blues were caught at the back 2v1, with only Jake Girdwood-Reich in close proximity to two onrushing Wanderers players. First-half sub Sapsford took on the eventual shot, whipping it into the far corner.

The Sky Blues had chances to win the game.

Sydney’s response came with getting the ball into the wide areas, Lolley trying a trademark left-foot strike which sailed just off target, and Thomas denying Anthony Caceres with a strike from 12 yards.

Seven minutes of added time provided respite and a chance to level, and Hollman went down in the box under a Dylan Scicluna challenge, the referee waving away the appeals as the visitors held firm and took the three points.

Next Saturday gives Ufuk Talay’s side the next opportunity to return to winning ways, Perth Glory visiting the Allianz Stadium.

Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 8. Jake GIRDWOOD-REICH (19. Mitch GLASSON 80’), 9. Fabio GOMES (13. Pat WOOD 62’), 10. Joe LOLLEY, 11. Robert MAK, 15. Gabriel LACERDA, 16. Joel KING (4. Jordan COURTNEY-PERKINS 70’), 17. Anthony CACERES, 21. Zac DE JESUS (23. Rhyan GRANT 46’), 25. Jaiden KUCHARSKI (12. Corey HOLLMAN 70’), 26. Luke BRATTAN ©.

Unused Subs: 20. Adam PAVLESIC (GK), 18. Matty SCARCELLA.

Yellow Cards: Courtney-Perkins (89’)

Red Cards: None

Western Sydney Wanderers: 20. Lawrence THOMAS (GK), 6. Marcelo GUEDES, 7. Dylan PIERIAS (39. Marcus YOUNIS 82’), 9. Marcus ANTONSSON (29. Dylan SCICLUNA 90’), 13. Tate RUSSELL, 14. Nicolas MILANOVIC, 16. Tom BEADLING, 19. Jack CLISBY, 21. Jorrit HENDRIX, 25. Joshua BRILLANTE, 26. Brandon BORRELLO (35. Zachary SAPSFORD 17’).

Unused Subs: 40. Jack GIBSON (GK), 4. Doni GRDIC, 36. Oscar PRIESTMAN, 37. Alexander BADOLATO.

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Venue: Allianz Stadium

Referee: Alex King

Attendance: 28,152