Sydney 0 def. by Melbourne Victory 1 (Cooney-Cross 120’)
Sydney FC have been defeated 1-0 by a controversial last gasp extra time winner in a pulsating Westfield W-League Grand Final.
Moments That Mattered:
- POLIAS HITS BAR – 2’ – An in-swinging corner from Polias on the left curls towards goal and just off the top of the crossbar.
- COONEY CROSS HITS THE BAR – 12’ – Cooney-Cross dribbles into the Sky Blues box and curls a shot off the bar which bounces down and away to safety.
- WHEELER CHANCE – 33’ – Wheeler dispossesses Bunge to get a clear run on goal but her shot is at the keeper.
- DE VANNA HITS BAR – 45’ – Cooney-Cross lifts the ball to the back post for De Vanna to head towards goal but off the crossbar and to safety.
- TOBY CHANCE – 81’ – Polias feeds Toby on the left and she cuts inside and curls a right foot shot over the bar.
- FANTASTIC DOUBLE SAVE WHYMAN – 83’ – Ayres floats a cross to the far post where Cooney-Cross heads from 2 yards but Whyman somehow gets across to keep it out and then push the rebound around the post for the second attempt.
- PRIOR OFF THE LINE – 90’+2’ – A left wing cross falls loose in the six yard box and Prior hooks clear when Victory looked certain to score.
- WHYMAN BRILLIANT SAVE AGAIN – 97’ – Longo shoots from 30 yards but Whyman leaps full stretch to get a hand to the ball to make a stunning save before gathering the bouncing ball.
- WHYMAN SAVES AGAIN – 104’ – Longo shoots from range again but this time Whyman tips over the bar.
- AYRES MISSES – 115’ – De Vanna’s cross beats a couple of defenders and Ayres puts wide from the penalty spot when it looked odds-on she’d score.
- COONEY CROSS – 120’ – The referee controversially awards a corner-kick against the Sky Blues as Prior clears the ball into a Victory leg with the ball ricocheting behind. From the corner Cooney-Cross floats the ball under the cross bar and into the net.
Sydney FC have suffered a last minute defeat in an end to end Westfield W-League Grand Final.
The Sky Blues had chances with Polias and Wheeler going close, however goalkeeper Jada Whyman was the star making a string of fine saves to deny Melbourne Victory’s attacks.
The result came down to the final minute of extra time with Prior trying to send the ball clear downfield but having it closed down by a Victory leg.
With the ball going behind the goal, the referee somehow awarded a corner kick and from that Cooney-Cross scored.
It was a cruel way to end proceedings for the Sky Blues who will have to make do with their Premiership win.
What they said: Ante Juric:
“We gave it everything, we weren’t at our best, especially in possession but defensively we were outstanding in a lot of ways and they just kept standing up for each other.
“To concede a goal like that from a corner that wasn’t a corner is very disappointing and they didn’t deserve that.
“But Victory were the better team having said that, but I’m super proud of our girls for turning up and turning up.”
Sydney FC: 1. Jada WHYMAN (GK), 2. Teresa POLIAS ©, 3. Charlotte McLEAN (17. Angelique HRISTODOULOU 89’), 5. Ally GREEN, 6. Clare WHEELER, 8. Rachel LOWE, 10. Remy SIEMSEN, 12. Natalie TOBIN, 13. Natasha PRIOR, 15. Mackenzie HAWKESBY (18. Taylor RAY 114’), 20.Princess IBINI (9. Allira TOBY 62’).
Subs: 40. Eliza CAMPBELL (GK), 19. Charlize RULE.
Yellow Cards: Lowe 70’, Polias 124’.
Red Cards: None.
Melbourne Victory: 1. Gabby GARTON (gk), 3. Claudia BUNGE, 7. Kyra COONEY-CROSS, 8. Angela BEARD, 9. Catherine ZIMMERMAN (19. Lia PRIVITELLI 90’), 10. Annalie LONGO (2. Tiffany ELIADIS 109’), 11. Lisa De VANNA, 13. Polly DORAN (30. Melinda BARBIERI 116’), 14. Melina AYRES, 15. Amy JACKSON, 18. Kayla MORRISON.
Subs: 20. Mel MAIZELS (gk), 4. Natalie MARTINEAU.
Yellow Cards: Jackson 44’, Morrison 74’, Garton 123’.
Red Cards: None
Venue: Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
Referee: Rebecca Durcau