Sydney FC Clear In Second After Sydney Derby Win
Sydney FC 1 (Bobô 62’) def. Western Sydney Wanderers 0
Sydney FC have moved clear in second place on the A-League ladder after a single goal from Bobô sealed a 1-0 Sydney Derby win.
Moments That Mattered:
- BOBÔ GOAL DISALLOWED – 27’ – Brattan’s corner is finished superbly by Bobô on the half volley but the goal is chalked off for a foul by Grant on Duke as the ball came over.
- CACERES SHOT SAVED – 34’ – Caceres drives forward and shoots low from 25 yards but Margush is down quickly to push around the post.
- BACCUS GOAL DISALLOWED – 44’ – Kamau shoots low from a quick corner routine but Ninkovic is fouled when trying to close down the ball and the goal is disallowed.
- BRATTAN FREEKICK SAVED – 47’ – Brattan fires a thunderous free kick towards goal from 20 yards and it’s acrobatically tipped over by Margush.
- BOBÔ HEADER TIPPED OVER – 51’ – Brattan’s cross lands on Bobô’s head but Margush again denies Sydney FC.
- BOBÔ HEADS WIDE – 55’ – Brattan curls the ball over from the right wing and Bobô’s downward header is just past the post.
- BARBAROUSES SHOT SAVED – 58’ – Margush punches a cross clear but Le Fondre flicks it first time back to Barbarouses who hits a first time volley but it’s straight at the keeper.
- BOBÔ GOAL – 62’ – King plays a perfectly weighted ball into the path of Ninkovic who lifts it back across to Bobô to direct his header past Margush.
- NINKOVIC SHOT SAVED – 79’ – Ninkovic picks up a throw from Redmayne and sprints into the Wanderers half. He plays the ball to Le Fondre and receives the return pass before hitting an effort which Margush pushes away.
- BARBAROUSES SHOT FROM RANGE – 90’ + 1’ – Wood chases down a back pass and forces Margush to clear quickly. The chance falls to Barbarouses who hits it first time but it’s narrowly past the woodwork.
Sydney FC dominated the Sydney Derby to seal a 1-0 win over arch rivals Western Sydney Wanderers and move further clear in second place.
The Sky Blues had a goal disallowed midway through the first half when Bobô had the ball in the back of the net but referee Chris Beath ruled it out for a foul, doing the same to the Wanderers just before the break.
Brazilian Bobô wasn’t to be denied and struck just after the hour, when King and Ninkovic combined to give him the headed chance.
The scoreline could have been more were it not for Margush in the Western Sydney goal who saved two further Bobô chances as well as from Brattan, Ninkovic, Caceres and Barbarouses.
The game ends the Sky Blues home regular season fixtures for this season with two away fixtures against Adelaide United and Brisbane Roar to come.
What they said: Steve Corica: “I think both teams sat back a little bit in the first half and it was a bit cagey.
“In the second half we were a lot better, we moved the ball a lot better, we pinned them into their half which was the key in the end.
“It was a very good, quality goal, great build up and a great finish from Bobô and we got a fantastic result in a massive week for us.
“That’s three clean sheets in a week, I’m very pleased with the amount of work they’ve put in defensively.
“2-0 would have been probably the right scoreline as the keeper made a couple of good saves but it’s very pleasing to have a clean sheet and nine points in a week.
“We are definitely playing well and getting results now as we head into finals and that’s very pleasing.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 9. BOBÔ (5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN 82’), 10. Milos NINKOVIC (3. Ben WARLAND 88’), 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16. Joel KING, 17. Anthony CACERES, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (8. Paulo RETRE 74’), 99. Adam LE FONDRE (33. Patrick WOOD 88’).
Subs: 30. Adam PAVLESIC, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 21. Harry Van Der SAAG.
Yellow Cards: Brattan 45’, McGowan 72’, Barbarouses
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers: 30. Daniel MARGUSH (GK), 2. Ziggy GORDON (17. Keanu BACCUS 64’), 4. Dylan MCGOWAN, 7. Bruce KAMAU, 8. Steven UGARKOVIC (27. Nicolai MULLER 85’), 12. Mitch DUKE (9. Bernie IBINI 64’), 13. Tate RUSSELL, 14. James TROISI (77. Scott MCDONALD 74’), 18. Graham DORRANS (C) (19. Jordon MUTCH 85’), 33. Mark NATTA, 39. Thomas AQUILINA.
Subs: 50. Oliver KALAC (GK), 34. Patrick ZIEGLER.
Yellow Cards: Gordon 33’.
Red Cards: None.
Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground
Referee: Chris Beath