Spoils Shared In Sydney Derby


The spoils were shared in the second Westfield W-League Sydney Derby of the season with the Sky Blues and Wanderers fighting it out at Lambert Park for a two all draw.

Sydney FC started the game brightly after a superb Alanna Kennedy free-kick gave the Sky Blues the lead, curling her effort above the wall and into the right side of the goal with only nine minutes played.

This lead was short-lived however, as Western Sydney striker Hannah Beard made a darting run into the box before sliding her shot past Betos and into the bottom right corner 10 minutes later to restore parity on the scoreboard.

It became a tight encounter for the remainder of the first half with the physicality resulting in numerous yellow cards for Sydney FC, typical of a derby affair.

The game provided some controversy late in the half, after a penalty was awarded to Western Sydney Wanderers for a foul off a corner kick, however Michelle Betos expertly saved Winters’ effort from 12 yards, diving to her bottom right to gather the ball.

The second half continued in the same physical nature with yellow cards being picked up by Khamis and Simon as both teams struggled to gain the ascendancy and any meaningful time in possession.

The Sky Blues lead was restored just beyond the hour mark by Kyah Simon as she turned her marker inside the area before rolling the ball into the bottom corner beyond the reach of Whyman in goals.

The Wanderers responded positively as they pressed high, forcing cheap turnover from Sydney FC and their pressure was rewarded with substitute Elizabeth Grey placing her shot into the bottom left corner after a neat cut back from the by-line to equalise again with only six minutes to play.

The match ended with both teams pressing for a final goal without finding the back of the net with both teams forced shared the spoils in a tight derby match.

The Sky Blues take on the Perth Glory next Sunday in Western Australia while the Wanderers face Melbourne Victory away on Saturday.