Sky Blues Stifled By Late Reds Goal


Sydney FC played out a tense 1-1 draw with Adelaide United in warm conditions at Lambert Park, Leichhardt on Saturday.

It was a dominant display from the Sky Blues who controlled the majority of the possession, and they will rue a number of missed chances as Adelaide struck late to earn a share of the points in what was a very physical match.

Attacking from the outset, the first chance to the Sky Blues came in the third minute as Anthony Tomelic found space and time outside the area however his shot flashed wide of the post.

The Sky Blues continued their attacking pressure and Tsekenis was unlucky not to have opened the scoring in the 13th minute after the Adelaide United keeper managed to just tip his effort wide after the winger had gone through one on one.

Tsekenis was enjoying the time and space the Adelaide defence were affording him on the right as his runs and crosses proved a constant source of danger however it was Blackwood with the next chance as he rounded the keeper.

Blackwood appeared to be brought down by the keeper however the referee waved away the fervent penalty shouts as both teams went in at half time level at nil all.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first with a number of heavy challenges flying around in the middle of the park.

Seven minutes after the restart Blackwood again went close as his run split the Adelaide defence in two however Hall in goals was sharp again as he raced off his line to smother the danger.

Not happy with their lack of penetration, Adelaide threw on the substitutes but to ill effect as the Sky Blues finally found the back of the net through Jordan Tsekenis.

Blackwood took on two Adelaide defenders on the right flank, darting inside one and cutting back past the other, leaving them stranded. The youngster broke into the box and found Tsekenis with a neat square ball at the far post with Tsekenis happy to side foot home from eight yards.

Play was disrupted slightly as a flurry of substitutes from both sides broke up proceedings and it was Adelaide who capitalised as they won a free kick on the edge of the area with five minutes remaining.

Anthony Costa took on the responsibility from the set piece and the number 9 fired low and hard past the Sky Blues wall to level the scores against the run of play.

Neither side could find a winner in the three minutes of stoppage time added on as Sydney FC and Adelaide United had to settle for a point each.

The Sky Blues are next in action against the Western Sydney Wanderers in the NYL Sydney Derby at Blacktown International Sports Centre (kick off 4pm).

THE BIG GAME PACK – Sydney FC face some tough competition in a short space of time and we have bundled the games together for a great package, with savings of over 30% on single game ticket purchases. See the Sky Blues take on the Melbourne Victory, Central Coast Mariners, Brisbane Roar and Melbourne City for a discounted price and receive exclusive Members’ benefits!   CLICK HERE!  

For all Membership related enquiries, please email membership@sydneyfc.com or call 1300 4 SYD FC