Sky Blues start new campaign with a 2-1 triumph

Sydney FC kicked-off its 2010/11 campaign with a 2-1 win over Manly United at Cromer Park on Tuesday night.

Sydney FC began its Hyundai A-League title defence with a 2-1 win over Manly United FC at Cromer Park on Tuesday night.

Vitezslav Lavicka-s new look side fielded 18 players in total with three triallists and another three players – Liam Reddy, Nicky Carle and Scott Jamieson – making their official Sky Blues debut.

Click here for video highlights of the match.

The first half was a largely even affair with both teams testing each other-s defence and scoring a goal a piece. Brendan Gan opened the scoring in the 10th minute after a well-rehearsed midfield build up that would have pleased the coaching staff.

Alex Brosque passed to Mark Bridge on the edge of the box and Bridge sent the ball on to an unmarked Gan. With the simplest of taps Gan opened the scoring for the new season.

Manly had their chances early testing new goalkeeper Liam Reddy. Midway through the first
half former Sydney FC forward Chris Payne sent a thundering shot on goal but fortunately for Sydney the ball was hit straight to Reddy-s safe hands.

Triallist Nathan Sherlock showed his potential with a silky turn on the wing before he was fouled
near the corner post whilst Terry McFlynn sent a scare through Sydney-s coaching ranks after coming down heavy in the 35th minute but returned to the midfield after receiving medical treatment.

Sydney looked set to see out the half with the only goal until a pass from Shannon Cole into space found Payne charging in on goal. A tackle in the box from Cole was deemed a foul by the referee who gave the penalty and Robbie Cattanach coolly shot past Reddy to level the match, bringing the first half to a close.

The second began with three substitutions – Stephan Keller, Mark Bridge and Terry McFlynn coming
off and Hayden Foxe, Joe Gibbs and triallist Hiro Muriasu coming on.

Sung Hwan Byun almost opened the scoring in the second half with a thundering shot along the ground that was only centimetres wide of the post.

In the 62nd minute Sydney-s new Australian marquee signing Nicky Carle came on for Alex
Brosque to make his Sky Blue debut and he was followed by Scott Jamison who came on in the 65th minute for Shannon Cole.

Jamison and Carle looked very comfortable together with numerous runs down the left wing whilst
Joe Gibbs had some promising runs in the centre.

It may not have been the prettiest of goals when Sydney FC re-took the lead in the 68th minute after a Hayden Foxe shot hit the post only to rebound off Damian Lobb and into the goal.

Despite the own goal the second half was evenly matched with both sides playing an open free flowing game. Despite numerous changes and new faces in the Sky Blues line up, it
always felt that Sydney were in control.

Sydney FC play their next pre-season fixture on Tuesday the 22nd of June against the Macarthur

Sydney FC team: 1. Liam Reddy (gk), 3. Stephan Keller, 4. Hirofuni Moriyasu, 5. Hayden Foxe, 6. Demitri Petratos, 7. Brendan Gan, 9. Joey Gibbs, 10. Nick Carle, 12. Shannon Cole, 13. Antony Golec, 14. Alex Brosque, 15. Terry McFlynn (c), 16. Sean Toth, 18. Nathan Sherlock, 19. Mark Bridge, 20. Ivan Necevski (gk), 21. Scott Jamieson, 22. Sung-Hwan Byun, Giorgio Sperenza