Sky Blues Inches Off Deserved Derby Draw
Sydney FC 2 (Wilkinson 47’, Bobô 90’+4’) def. by Western Sydney Wanderers 3 (Kamau 12’, Duke 16’, McDonald 75’)
Sydney FC have come incredibly close to securing a fully deserved draw in the Sydney Derby, going down 3-2 in a game they dominated from start to finish and missing a number of chances, including a late penalty.
Moments That Mattered:
- BAUMJOHANN CHANCE – 9′ – Baumjohann receives the ball back from Barbarouses inside the left hand channel of the penalty box and drills a shot just passed the keeper’s right hand post.
- KAMAU GOAL –12’ – Gordon crosses from the left and Kamau blasts the ball home off the post inside the penalty area.
- DUKE GOAL – 16’ – Kamau breaks forward and nudges the ball to Ibini who drops it off the Duke to slot home.
- BOBÔ SHOT SAVED – 34’ – A sublime back-heel from Ninkovic finds Bobô who takes a touch inside and shoots but Margush is down low to save.
- WILKINSON GOAL – 47’ – Baumjohann floats over a right wing corner and Wilkinson directs a perfect header into the far corner.
- NINKOVIC CHANCE – 49’ – Barbarouses back heels to Ninkovic who drives at the Wanderers defence and reaches the byline where he tries to squeeze the ball home but Margush blocks for a corner.
- BOBÔ CHANCE – 55’ – Ninkovic sets Baumjohann into the box to hit a ball into the danger area where Margush parries but the richochet doesn’t fall kindly for the Brazilian striker.
- MCDONALD GOAL – 75’ – McDonald heads home from a right-wing corner.
- REDMAYNE SAVE – 80’ – Yeboah shoots from the edge of the box and Redmayne produces a flying save.
- BOBÔ MISSES PENALTY – 86’ – Buhagiar is barged over in the box by Dorrans and after a three minute VAR delay, which seemed unnecessary, Bobô steps up but blazes over the bar.
- BOBÔ GOAL – 90’+4’ – Caceres charges into the box and squares to Bobô to finish from close range.
- CACERES HITS THE BAR – 90’+5’ – Caceres curls a superb effort from the edge of the box which bounces off the under side of the bar and out, before Wood’s shot on the rebound is blocked.
Sydney FC have lost the Sydney Derby 3-2 after dominating large parts of the game, missing a late penalty and hitting the bar in the dying stages.
The Sky Blues started the better of the two sides but were caught on the break in the 12th minute when Kamau gave the Wanderers the lead.
Duke made it 2-0 four minutes later after a mis-placed pass allowed the red and black to counter in numbers.
Sydney FC dominated possession 75/25% over the 90 minutes and were rewarded just after the break when Wilkinson headed home Baumjohann’s corner.
Ninkovic and Bobô both went close before McDonald added a third for the home side.
A penalty for a foul on Buhagiar was for some reason checked by the VAR for three minutes, but eventually awarded, however the delay ended with Bobô firing over when the chance to reduce the deficit presented itself.
The Brazilian made no mistake in the fourth minute of injury time poking home from Caceres’ excellent run and pass.
The latter was millimeters from securing a much-deserved draw from the re-start, when his run and right foot shot came back off the underside of the bar and the rebound was cleared.
What they said:
Head Coach Steve Corica:
“I thought we played excellent. I thought we dominated from start to finish, just with a couple of lapses which led to their goals, two counter attacks and the corner from which we conceded in the second half.
“I think it’s a missed opportunity, we needed three points but I’m very proud of the way we played, particularly in the second half.
“We had quite a few chances, we pinned them in, we created chances and put balls into the box.
“Obviously we got the one goal back and with Bobô missing the penalty that was crucial at the time.”
Sydney FC: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Alex WILKINSON, 5. Alexander BAUMJOHANN (17. Anthony CACERES 75’), 6. Ryan MCGOWAN, 8. Paulo RETRE, 9. BOBÔ, 10. Milos NINKOVIC, 11. Kosta BARBAROUSES (12. Trent BUHAGIAR 75’), 16. Joel KING, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 26. Luke BRATTAN (33. Patrick WOOD 86’).
Subs: 30. Adam PAVLESIC, 3. Ben WARLAND 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 21. Harry Van Der SAAG.
Yellow Cards: McGowan 25’, Brattan 30’,
Red Cards: None.
Western Sydney Wanderers: 30. Daniel MARGUSH (GK), 2. Ziggy GORDON, 7. Bruce KAMAU (6. Tass MOURDOUKOUTAS 78’), 9. Bernie IBINI (13. Tate RUSSELL 66’), 12. Mitch DUKE (11. Kwame YEBOAH 66’), 14. James TROISI (77. Scott MCDONALD 66’), 18. Graham DORRANS (C), 19. Jordon MUTCH (17. Keanu BACCUS 59’), 33. Mark NATTA, 34. Patrick ZIEGLER, 39. Thomas AQUILINA.
Subs: 40. Noah JAMES (GK), 10. Simon COX.
Yellow Cards: Duke 30’, Troisi 60’,
Red Cards: None.
Venue: BankWest Stadium
Referee: Shaun Evans