NSW Premier League Round 4 Review

Incessant rain across the state on Saturday disrupted Round 4 action in the NSW Premier League with two matches re-scheduled due to waterlogged pitches.

Incessant rain across the state on Saturday disrupted Round 4 action in the NSW Premier League with two matches re-scheduled due to waterlogged pitches.

Both the Rockdale City Suns – Marconi Stallions and Bonnyrigg White Eagles – Sydney United matches were cancelled, with Football NSW to announce new dates for these fixtures in the coming week.

At Seymour Shaw on Saturday evening, Sutherland Sharks made the most of their synthetic pitch despite the wet conditions to overcome a brave Parramatta FC and surge to the top of the League ladder. The Sharks were forced to dig deep for the win, with the visiting Eagles taking the field with a very well organised setup. Brian Dene-s new signings Brodie Mooy and Matthew Osman made impressive debuts, though Sutherland-s Matt Bailey decided the match with a well taken goal – poking home Jim Bakis- cross shortly after the second-half re-start to secure the win.

Sutherland were strong in defence, meanwhile Nick Stavroulakis played an exceptional match in the engine room, constantly breaking down Parramatta FC counterattacks and expertly starting his own side-s forward forays with some exquisite passing.

The win gives the Sharks a sole-hold on top spot after Sydney United-s match against Bonnyrigg White Eagles was cancelled due to the wet weather.

A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers collected their first win of the season at Lily Homes Stadium with a 2-1 defeat of Blacktown City FC. Nick Rizzo-s injury time winner was enough for the travelling Tigers faithful, ensuring the defending champions remain winless after four matches.

Goalkeeping errors in the first-half by both shot-stoppers paved the way to goals for both sides. Stephen Kayes- long-range effort on 24- minutes was not dealt with by David Bradasevic who saw the ball go through his hands and finish in the bottom left-hand corner to hand the Tigers the lead. Moments before the break, Milorad Simonovic was on hand to slot home from close-range and take advantage of a goalkeeping blunder from Terry Dalbroi.

Blacktown City was forced to play the last 30- minutes with ten men following Tyler Simpson-s straight red card for defence, leaving the side with a mammoth task to find a win.

The visiting Tigers sealed their first win of the 2011 season in the 92- minute via the feet of Rizzo. The Tigers substitute – making his return from injury – combined well with Sam Messam to clinch three very important points for A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt.

At John Crehan Park, South Coast Wolves- brave effort with 10-men for 80- minutes nearly reaped reward with the side denied a point in the dying minutes by Bankstown City. A brace to Aman Hadid secured the Jensen Park side three very valuable points on a difficult surface following the rain of the past few days.

The Wolves lost Stephan Paric in the 9- minute following a contrast with Stefanos Liavas, leaving the home side a man down for the remainder of the contest. Hadid opened the scoring in the 27- minute as he latched onto Daniel Zeleny-s through ball. The Lions striker kept his cool to finish with aplomb past Brody Crane.

The Wolves strong showing in the second-half reaped some reward on 55- minutes as Sasho Petrovski continued his fine goalscoring touch with another strong finish. With momentum entirely in favour of the Wolves, Hadid rose highest in the 86- minute to head home Shannon Burgin-s free-kick to seal the win.

Manly United FC are still awaiting their first win of the season after being held to their fourth consecutive draw of the campaign. Craig Midgley-s side dominated Sydney Olympic throughout the encounter, though some poor finishing in front of goal proved to be the side-s undoing. The Cromer Park outfit took the lead midway through the first-half courtesy of Matthew Sim who shot well into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty-area.

The Blues, who were unbeaten until last weekend, managed to draw level and salvage a point 25- minutes from the end as new signing Richard Luksic found the equaliser. The burly defender managed to bundled home Phil Makrys- set-piece to ensure the Blues left Dee Why with a share of the spoils.