NSW Premier League Round 11 Review

Bonnyrigg White Eagles confirmed their return to form with an impressive 3-0 defeat of League leader Sydney Olympic on Saturday evening.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles confirmed their return to form with an impressive 3-0 defeat of League leader Sydney Olympic on Saturday evening.

Having already fallen at the hands of the Blues in the Waratah Cup, the White Eagles hit the front on 20- minutes as Jamie McMaster headed home a Jared Lum corner.

Despite Sydney Olympic pressing for an equaliser, Bonnyrigg put the game beyond reach with two late goals following Robbie Mileski-s straight red card for an elbow in the 80- minute.

Takuya Murayama scored Bonnyrigg-s second with a well driven effort across Paul Henderson and into the back of the net. Chris Tadrosse inflicted further despair for the Sydney Olympic faithful as he cut in from the left-flank before firing underneath Henderson to round out the result. Despite the defeat, Sydney Olympic maintains a one-point lead over closest rival Sutherland Sharks.

The Sharks defeated South Coast Wolves at Seymour Shaw in a ‘home match- for the Wolves after their playing surface at John Crehan Park was deemed unplayable following a week of heavy rain. The Sharks raced out to a two-goal lead – Chris Price headed the side into the lead on 19- minutes before Matthew Bailey added a second just after the half-time interval.

South Coast did re-open the contest in the 61- minute as Sasho Petrovski was on hand to punish the Sharks after Nathan Denham failed to deal with a Wolves corner. The goal spurred the Wolves into action, though Trevor Morgan-s men wasted several opportunities to equalise. Andres Gomez and Alex Mansueto both failed to hit the target from promising positions before Jack Keating headed directly at the Sutherland shot-stopper late-on.

South Coast lost Petrovski in the 90- minute as he was given a red card for a poorly timed challenge on Hayden Morton as the Sharks administered the final minutes of play to hold on for the three points.

At Marconi Stadium the Stallions got their season on track with a fine 3-0 defeat of A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers in the ‘Italian Derby- on Saturday evening.

The Tigers struggled throughout the encounter, largely due to the extra 120- minutes in the players legs following the midweek Waratah Cup match win against Macarthur Rams.

Andrew Mailer put the Stallions ahead on 12- minutes with a fabulous curling effort from the right that ended up in the top left-hand corner. Despite the Tigers going close to an equaliser through Nicola Rizzo and Sam Messam, the Stallions made it 2-0 shortly after the break.

The home side was awarded a penalty as the referee deemed Jose Bello-Amigo to have obstructed Arrarte inside the penalty-area. The Stallions captain lined up the spot-kick and converted for a two goal lead.

Matthew Gordon added a third in injury-time as he showed some exceptional skill, composure and finesse as he danced his way past a number of defenders before slotting home past Bello-Amigo. The win lifts the Stallions into fifth-spot on the ladder at the midway point of the season.

On Sunday afternoon at Sydney United Sports Centre, Sydney United were held to a 2-2 draw by Bankstown City in a rather entertaining second period of play. Locked at 0-0 at the break, the Lions hit the front shortly after the re-start courtesy of Hussein Salameh-s well taken goal.

The Lions scuffed at least two good chances to put the game beyond the Reds and Jean-Paul DeMarigny-s men made the visitors pay. Ben Vidaic equalised with an exceptional shot on the turn from the edge of the penalty-area after bringing the ball down off his chest on 74- minutes. The Reds went ahead 9- minutes later via a tremendous low-driven effort by Steve Hayes, though the Lions had the final say as David Gardiner headed the side level in the 85- minute.

Rockdale City Suns secured a much needed win at home against Parramatta FC. The Suns did not have everything go their way early as the visitors were awarded a penalty early on. Peter Crevani-s weak penalty was well saved by Suns- goalkeeper Ben McNamara, though the shot-stopper was at fault in the 8- minute as Kutaiba Elrich curled a free-kick into the back of the net with the goalkeeper-s positioning questioned.

Despite dominating the first period, Parramatta FC failed to find a second goal and the Suns made them pay before the break. Josh Lawson was on hand to convert from close-range following a goalmouth scramble.

After the break James Monie and Jason Naidovski managed to find the back of the net following a lean spell this season. Monie latched onto Marino Musumeci-s through ball in the 47- minute to dink the ball over Anthony Costa in the Parramatta FC goal. Naidovski grabbed his first in the 53- minute, driving home Monie-s cut back effort across goal before the striker added his second of the afternoon in the 66- minute, converting Adem Kir-s centre with a strong finish into the back of the net.

In the final match of the Round, Blacktown City FC claimed maximum points against Manly United FC at Cromer Park. Blacktown City took the lead on 23- minutes via Milorad Simonovic-s powerful finish from 18-yards before Luke Roodenburg doubled the defending champions lead prior to the break with a well taken angled finish.
Late in the second-half, Travis Major again showed his continual progression with a well taken penalty to round out the 3-0 result.