Mallia At The Double In IGA NSW NPL Men’s 1


See what Sydney FC’s players past and present got up to as they ply their trade in the IGA NSW NPL Men’s 1 competition this offseason.

See what Sydney FC’s players past and present got up to as they ply their trade in the IGA NSW NPL Men’s 1 competition this offseason.

Mitch Mallia scored a double for Blacktown City while Blake Powell continued his hot goal scoring streak for APIA as the two former Sydney FC players went head to head at Lambert Park.

Spartans are clear by five after their Match of the Round victory over Bonnyrigg White Eagles.
Meanwhile, Sydney Olympic have snuck into fifth spot and South Coast Wolves into eighth after weekend results.


Blacktown Spartans 3-2 Bonnyrigg White Eagles, at Blacktown Football Park

Spartans moved a step closer to the premiership with their 3-2 win against Bonnyrigg White Eagles in their first v second clash at Blacktown Football Park.

It was a match worthy of top billing and for a long while it looked as if Bonnyrigg was going to knock over the home side.

They came out firing and took the lead through the irrepressible Robbie Younis, before adding a second before the break through Aaron Peterson.

They would have hoped to have taken that lead into the break but that dream was shattered within 60″ seconds as Elsid Barkhousir pulled one back for Spartans.

The goal gave them a sniff and they returned for the second half with real gusto.

David Gullo equalised shortly after the resumption of hostilities and Spartans powered forward, eventually scoring the winner through Corey Biczo.

Bonnyrigg will be terribly disappointed that they let the lead slip, but Spartans are cheering for they are now five points clear at the top of the table.

Round 15 Review

APIA-Leichhardt Tigers 1-5 Blacktown City, at Lambert Park

It wasn’t pretty for APIA-Leichhardt. After letting a two goal lead slip in midweek against Manly, their leaky defence shipped five here, although they were missing their skipper Michael West and left-back David D’Apuzzo.

It is no excuse though and Blacktown City was at its attacking best, scoring five times to go back to second on the table.

It didn’t take long for Blacktown to take the lead, as Mitchell Mallia superbly chipped the goalkeeper with only four minutes on the clock.

Travis Major made it two on the quarter hour mark, before the in-form Blake Powell pulled one back for APIA, giving the home side hope.

In the second half, a rare goal from Zac Caircross made it 3-1, before Major and then Mallia both added their second goals to complete the rout.

Manly United 1-0 Sydney United 58 FC, at Cromer Park

Manly United’s players celebrated like they’d won the grand final and as well they might.

It has been a difficult season on the peninsula but they showed great heart and determination top beat Sydney United 58 FC 1-0.

Having battled back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with APIA-Leichhardt in midweek, Paul Dee’s side was brimming with belief.

They took the lead through Chris Payne and never relinquished it, and in doing so dragged themselves off the foot of the table on goal difference, and level on points with United, who are badly struggling to make an impression this season.

Marconi Stallions 1-2 Sutherland Sharks, at Marconi Stadium

Marconi Stallions was in good form heading into this home fixture against Sutherland Sharks but that bubble was burst as they went down 2-1 to the team from the Shire.

Jordan Figon started for Robbie Stanton’s side, preferred to Ethan Galbraith, and he repaid the coach’s faith, scoring twice.

His first goal came in the first half and put his side ahead, only for Shu Sasaki to draw Marconi level.
But, Figon struck again to nose Sutherland ahead again, and perhaps signal that a return to their fluid best isn’t far away.

St George 0-0 Sydney Olympic, at Seymour Shaw Park

St George and Sydney Olympic both battled hard in a game that was a decent spectacle despite the nil-nil scoreline.

Goalkeeping aficionados would have enjoyed this one, especially Paul Henderson’s two saves in the first half to deny George Codrea and David Talevski, and Dion Shaw’s wonderful stop from Go Shirai.

St George was left to rue the chances they missed in the first half, while Olympic dominated the second but was not able to breach St George’s defence or their goalkeeper.

South Coast Wolves 3-1 Rockdale City Suns, at WIN Stadium

South Coast Wolves moved up to eighth, continuing their sensational run under rookie coach Nahuel Arrarte.

Wolves are organised and compact, but capable of scoring very good goals, and it has call come together since the former Marconi Stallions captain took the reigns.

It wasn’t a good result for Rockdale though, who drop out of the top five on goal difference.

Wolves took the lead early on through the unlikely figure of James Baldacchino, before doubling their money through Jordan Murray just before half time.

Steven Hesketh reduced the deficit but as Rockdale chased the game, Wolves came up with a third, a spectacular effort from distance by Lachlan Reus.

More information about the competitions can be found here.

*Photos courtesy of Football New South Wales*