Late goal gives Adelaide 2-1 win over Sydney FC

A late Iain Ramsay goal in stoppage time saw Adelaide United secure a 2-1 victory over Sydney FC at Sydney Football Stadium on Monday night.

A late Iain Ramsay goal in stoppage time saw Adelaide United secure a 2-1 victory over Sydney FC at Sydney Football Stadium on Monday night.

The Sky Blues took the lead late in the first half through an Alex Brosque penalty, only to surrender the lead in the second half by a Shannon Cole own goal. A lapse of concentration in the dying minutes of the game saw Ramsay secure three points for the A-League competition leaders.

Sydney FC, like all of the A-League have next weekend off, before returning to first face Melbourne Victory at Etihad Stadium followed by a trip to Perth to take on the Glory.

A resolute Vitezslav Lavicka remained positive despite yet another setback in what has been a frustrating season.

“We created the chances, but it-s the same story again. I give 100% support to the players. We never give up,” Lavicka said.

It was the Sky Blues who looked determined to get their first win of the season in the first half by attacking the Adelaide goal. Sydney-s first opportunity to score came in the 27th minute when striker Bruno Cazarine tapped the ball outside the right post of the Adelaide goal.

Minutes later Sergio Van Djik found space creating a chance for Adelaide with a header, however it harmlessly fell into the arms of Sydney custodian Liam Reddy.
Sydney-s golden moment came just before half time in the 40th minute, after Iain Fyfe tugged a Sydney shirt. Brosque stepped to the spot and confidently drove his spot-kick down the middle of United-s goal.

The second half started in a similar vein to the first, with Sydney making positive inroads to the Adelaide goal through a series of swift attacking plays.

However in the space of a few minutes the game was turned on its head.
In the 56th minute, Sydney-s Scott Jamieson appeared to have his shirt pulled by Adelaide substitute Travis Dodd, however the ref waved play on and Lucas Pantelis broke away with the ball.

In a moment that could sum up Sydney-s season, Cole-s attempt to intercept the ball from the edge of the box came off his boot at pace and the defender had to watch as his shot rolled cruelly beyond Reddy gifting Adelaide an own goal.

Fired up by the incident, Sydney launched a fresh assault and could only watch as a low save from Adelaide goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic prevented Mark Bridge from scoring. It was a save pulled from the top shelf.

Sydney continued to push for the elusive winner as Bridge was again in the action heading from 7 yards in the 89th minute.

The crowd of 7071 held it-s breath in unison as the ball lobbed perilously close to the cross bar.

As the match petered toward yet another draw The Sky Blues suffered the unthinkable in the first minute of stoppage time. Ramsay up against his former club pounced on a cross, smashing the ball into the back of the net after gaining control, breaking Sydney-s hearts.

Match Details:

Sydney FC: 1 (BROSQUE 40’P)
Adelaide United FC: 1 (COLE OG 57′, RAMSAY 90+1)

Sydney FC Line-up: 1. Liam REDDY (gk), 2. Sebastian RYALL, 3. Stephan KELLER, 6. Hirofumi MORIYASU (7. Brendan GAN 72′), 8. Stuart MUSIALIK, 9. Bruno CAZARINE, 12. Shannon COLE, 14. Alex BROSQUE, 15. Terry MCFLYNN, 19. Mark BRIDGE (5. Hayden FOXE 90′), 21. Scott JAMIESON 59′.

Substitutes Not Used: 17. Matthew JURMAN, 20. Ivan NECEVSKI (gk).

Yellow Cards: 21. Scott JAMIESON 53′.
Red Cards: Nil.
Goals: 14. Alex BROSQUE 14’P.

Adelaide United FC Line-up: 1. Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk), 2. Robert CORTHWAITE, 4. Iain FYFE, 6. CASSIO, 7. Lucas PANTELIS (c), 8. Adam HUGHES, 9. Sergio van DIJK (5. Daniel MULLEN 62′), 10. Marcos FLORES (13. Travis DODD 54′), 12. Paul REID, 24. Cameron WATSON, 26. Joseph KEENAN (17. Iain RAMSEY).

Substitutes Not Used: 20. Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk).

Yellow Cards: 4. Iain FYFE 39′.
Red Cards: Nil.
Goals: 12. Shannon COLE 57′ OG, 17 Iain RAMSAY 90+1.

Referee: Gerard PARSONS
Crowd: 7 071 at the Sydney Football Stadium.