10 Man Sky Blues Take The Win


A ten man Sydney FC Foxtel National Youth League side clinched a late victory over the Central Coast Mariners at Lambert Park on Monday night.

The Sky Blues were reduced to 10 men after Max Burgess was controversially sent off for a perceived elbow however James Andrew earned the three points after he fired in an effort from close range with only five minutes remaining.

Both sides started off slow as they found their feet before the Mariners piled on some early pressure as they gathered two loose balls in quick succession however the resultant efforts were tame.

With Hyundai A-League Head Coaches Graham Arnold and Phil Moss in attendance both sides were looking to impress and Sydney FC had a prime opportunity in the 18th minute after the referee awarded a free kick in the box after the Mariners keeper held the ball for too long.

Max Burgess stepped up for the kick but fired into the wall before the danger was eventually cleared.

Sydney FC were reduced to 10 men in the 29th minute with Max Burgess inexplicably sent off after the referee perceived an elbow to have been thrown by the Sky Blues youngster but the Sky Blues continued to push with Caton forcing a sharp save from Pearce from distance.

The sides headed in equal at the break and it was the Mariners who came out firing first in the second half as Kalik curled a free kick inches wide minutes after the restart.

Hagi Gligor fired a powerful effort wide from outside the area when well placed before Sydney FC had a penalty shout turned down in the 64th minute after Blackwood burst into the area but the referee waved play on.

Sydney FC finally broke the deadlock in the 85th minute through James Andrew as he lashed home from inside the area from an acute angle.

Anthony Tomelic took the ball on the bounce outside the area and fire a wicked volley goal bound that Pearce palmed away, however Andrew was on hand for the rebound as he fired home to earn the three points.

Sydney FC next play Adelaide United away on Saturday 8th November at Adelaide Shores Football Centre as they look to ascend the table after missing two rounds while in Vietnam.